Thinking of kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing some kegging equipment a friend of a friend has for sale. I thought I'd post asking what you guys thought about his prices.

5 gallon Corny Keg - $30
20LB CO2 tank with gas in it - $80
Dual pressure regulator with 3 taps $120

I believe he has 3 kegs and they are ball lock. What else besides a fridge ($200?) would I need to keg my beer? Are there any questions I should ask him about the equipment?

Thanks.

I am thinking of purchasing some kegging equipment a friend of a friend has for sale. I thought I'd post asking what you guys thought about his prices.

5 gallon Corny Keg - $30
20LB CO2 tank with gas in it - $80
Dual pressure regulator with 3 taps $120

I believe he has 3 kegs and they are ball lock. What else besides a fridge ($200?) would I need to keg my beer? Are there any questions I should ask him about the equipment?

Thanks.

The keg prices are good to great depending on your local market. Good working Corny kegs are getting harder to find, and most of the time the days of the $15-$20 corny are gone. Figure spending another $4 per keg for an o-ring replacement kit. Ask if the ball lock gas/liquid connectors are included as a each side will cost you $5-9 bucks if you have to buy them.

20lb tank for $80 is a good price if it's aluminium, and a decent price if it's steel. However I'd caution you to make sure you can fit a 20lb one inside your fridge, or be willing to keep the co2 tank outside and plumb it through. I use an apt sized fridge for my kegerator and a 15lb co2 tank with a collar was too tall to fit.

The regulator sounds a bit expensive if by 3 taps you mean it has hookups for three lines. However if that price also includes the shanks and actual beer taps (regular or perlick) it's a good price. If you have to buy the shanks they're usually $18-20 each and then another $20-60 for the taps depending on the brand you choose.

Plan on replacing the beer lines and (if it was me) the gas lines.

Back