Favorite black IPA/ Cascadian Dark ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Im wondering what some of your favorites were. Looking for some good commercial examples to try. Wanting to maybe brew up a batch, but should probably know what I'm getting myself into first. So, give some names.

Deschutes Hop In The Dark, Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, and 21st Amendment Back In Black have been my favorites, and in that order.

Consider ordering the Northern Brewer kit for your first CDA. I love it and have seen nothing but rave reviews from others.

And to answer your original question...Black Galaxy from Half Pints Brewery.

I haven't had that many of them, but the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous is great

I much prefer the Hopworks CDA over Sublimely Self Righteous (where the roast character plays a pretty small role IMO).

Big fan of deschutes hop in the dark. not a huge fan of Alaskan's black ipa. I think those are the only two i've tried besides the Northern Brewer recipe kit, which I thought was very good.

osagedr said:
Consider ordering the Northern Brewer kit for your first CDA. I love it and have seen nothing but rave reviews from others.

And to answer your original question...Black Galaxy from Half Pints Brewery.

I'm actually going to brew up a session style CDA that Dawson made on an episode of Brewing TV called back to basics. Looked super easy and super tasty. I emailed him about it and he said it was good and gave me some suggestions of tweaks that he has made since.

Barley Brown's Turmoil...here's the link to the BYO recipe.

http://***********/component/resource/article/2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale

Barley Brown's Turmoil...here's the link to the BYO recipe.

http://***********/component/resource/article/2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale

Have you made it? It looks fantastic on paper! I plan on brewing it in the next week or two.

Alaskan Brewing Black IPA

EDIT: should be easy for you to get down in oregon.

Stone 15 is fantastic, but you might not be able to get it anymore. Deschutes Hop in the Dark is almost as good. Pyramid Discord is an insane deal for $2.50/bomber.

UINTA DUBHE ftw! IMO the best, there was a can you brew it episode on it so the recipe is floating around.

I'm actually quite surprised nobody said what I was going to.

New Belgium's Snow Day!

It's the beer that initially got me into the style. SWMBO and I had a sample of it at Total Wine and liked it so much we bought a case and the sweet New Belgium $5 donation glasses.

I haven't had too many of them, and haven't been particularly wowed by the commercial ones I've had. Ironically enough, my favorite example of this American style beer has been by a British brewery, Thornbridge's Raven.

Since you're in Astoria...next time you are driving by Hillsboro, stop in to the McMenamin's Cornelius Pass Roadhouse. They have a CDA called "Dark Star" that is delicious. I loved this beer before I; a) knew what a "CDA" was or even b) knew this was a CDA!

The current batch is 8.6% ABV and it is always in the 8% range, so more like a Imperial or double CDA.

best one i've had was a beer healdsburg BC did on tap only - iirc, it was called "sidecar" - that being said, my CDA is the best i've had - by far my favorite HB.

Tons of great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go broke trying all of these! Haha

Brewed w/ hemp seed oil or so I hear

The statement that prompted the "what" still makes so sense.

Even if it was brewed with hemp oil, so what? There are at least 3 hemp beers that are easily found and they are most certainly not going to raise any red flags.

Reno_eNVy said:
I'm actually quite surprised nobody said what I was going to.

New Belgium's Snow Day!

It's the beer that initially got me into the style. SWMBO and I had a sample of it at Total Wine and liked it so much we bought a case and the sweet New Belgium $5 donation glasses.

New Belgium's Snow Day isn't a black ipa IMO

I really liked Stone XV, but other than that the commercial examples I have had are not hoppy enough!

Reno_eNVy said:
The statement that prompted the "what" still makes so sense.

Even if it was brewed with hemp oil, so what? There are at least 3 hemp beers that are easily found and they are most certainly not going to raise any red flags.

Oh I know it won't raise any red flags.... Just think the poster sayin a few more yrs is military and may not realize even if it's brewed with hemp seed it will not contain thc ( therefore no worry of a drug test pop ). That's how I read into it

Back