Lazy Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zider

Reaction score
As temperatures crawl up here in Montreal lager fermenting looks off unless I buy another fridge that can fit a carboy.
I noticed that an old starter I never used carried on fermenting in the fridge. Bit slower than normal but not too bad I been monitoring the whiff of the gas to see how clean it smells. Nothing off.
So I am thinking to make a lazy lager. I'll bottle immediately from the can into 2L coke bottles and ferment in the fridge with the starter that has acclimatized to the cold Release pressure manually by opening lids a bit every few days. Maybe carb in up outside fridge and straight back in again to err lager.
Apart from taking longer to brew and having more yeast in any reason why this is dumb? Could I just add gelatin to hold the yeast on bottom? Anyone tried this or summut similar?

found this
http://archive.maltosefalcons.com/tech/methode_champenoise/#photos

that convinced me bottling from the start and getting yeast out later was pretty hard work and not lazy at all

when making champagne type wines in UK decades ago there were plastic corks that had a bulb on the end, after fermenting upside down could freeze bulb . Then snip it off with scissors then put in another plug and wire it up. Still...it's not lazy but likely what I was thinking,

Back