Thinking about kegging?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentdr

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a while now and I am comfortable with my ability, so I am kicking around the idea of kegging, but one question plagues me, Do you have to let the beer condition in the keg as if you had it in a bottle? or do you have to let it ferment longer so you can just keg,carbonate, and drink?

You get to bulk condition, since it is kegged which may condition a little faster, but the temptation to get it cold is too great for many, so kegs condition less.

Definitely make the plunge -- it's not quick but it's much much faster than bottling. It's just like bottles -- the more you let it sit, the better it gets.

I had that same question when I started kegging in January. I was so anxious to "tap that" that after my two or 3 weeks fermenting I kegged and put it on CO2 right away (chilled). A week later I had a carbed beer that was still green. I took it out of the fridge and let it condition at room temp for 2 weeks then put it back in the fridge = much better.

IM(limited experience)O - treat it like a bottle and age it accordingly. Then chill and serve.

I have been brewing for a while now and I am comfortable with my ability, so I am kicking around the idea of kegging, but one question plagues me, Do you have to let the beer condition in the keg as if you had it in a bottle? or do you have to let it ferment longer so you can just keg,carbonate, and drink?

Conditioning depends on the beer.

For most ales, let fermentation complete, keg, carb, enjoy.

Use this guide.. Force Carbonation Link

So after fermentation it sit in the keg to condition for 2-3 weeks connected to the CO2 or not connected?
I am looking into kegging myself....

If you've got the space and the gas lines available, leave it connected to the C02 - it'll help keep the keg sealed AND carb up the beer while it's conditioning.

I don't have a lot of experience, but logic and research suggest that you purge the keg with CO2 and leave at least enough pressure on it to make sure it is sealed while you let it age.

I don't have a lot of experience, but logic and research suggest that you purge the keg with CO2 and leave at least enough pressure on it to make sure it is sealed while you let it age.

Yep. I add priming sugar at that point to to let it naturally carbonate. You just need CO2 for the purge and to seal the keg.

Back