Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in Coatesville.... Anyone doing the Brewfest at Mount Hope homebrew competition?

Been brewing for 3 years...all grain for 2! I am going to be brewing an Imperial Stout(1.118OG) on Saturday that I plan to age in a recently purchased used 5G whiskey barrel... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Any idea when they'll be judging the first round of the Battle of the Homebrew Shops?

damn good question. Dropped mine off at Keystone last thurs. Was surprised to find out I was only the second person to drop off at that store, considering the deadline was that sat.

damn good question.
Reminds me of the Preston and Steve contest in Philly last year. Lack of structure and communication. Not something to be taken seriously. But if you make it, the second round could be a fun and interesting (if not confusing) challenge.

Reminds me of the Preston and Steve contest in Philly last year. Lack of structure and communication. Not something to be taken seriously. But if you make it, the second round could be a fun and interesting (if not confusing) challenge.

Speaking of the Preston and Steve comp, Triumph just recently posted the announcement of their contest this year on FB. Looks like Preston and Steve's names are not on it. Maybe it will be organized a smidge better this year. No entry fee - but they want a sixer of your submission.

Any idea when they'll be judging the first round of the Battle of the Homebrew Shops?

In Barry's Homebrew newsletter today they said they got 25 entrants, I dropped mine off on Wednesday and there was only 7. It said that the entries would be reviewed and decided on by late next week so I guess we will hear the winners in about a week or so.

Speaking of the Preston and Steve comp, Triumph just recently posted the announcement of their contest this year on FB. Looks like Preston and Steve's names are not on it. Maybe it will be organized a smidge better this year. No entry fee - but they want a sixer of your submission.

I might enter, only because it sounds like a fun event and I try to get to as many beer week events as possible. I always like an excuse for daytime drinking to. But a 6 pack is a steep asking price.

Fishtown/NoLibs here (right on the border of each). I entered in the Homebrew Shop contest also, I believe I was the 25th entry when I dropped my off on Saturday. They said as of Saturday morning Keystone only had 2 entries. I figured they would of had over 100.

we'll see. It was the end of the case I had bottled for WOtW. The last one I opened was a gusher. I have 2 (the last 2) of those bottles ear marked for NHC. Hopefully they aren't total gushers as well.

Took 1st (out of 49 entries) in cat 23 . Already had to rebrew (this time a 10 gal batch), big crew is looking to try it this sat!

Congrats! Quite an accomplishment to win 23 with a low gravity beer.

Were you there for the awards? What’d you pick?

Yeah, I was. I picked up the Dock St Growler, and a gift cert to their place. None of the equipment that was there was usable to me. I guess i could have gone with a gift cert to keystone instead. I like the swingtop growlers though, and wanted another one. i was ok with it. The beer was a 4.5% (on the button) chocolate peanut butter stout (Ode to a Reese's Cup).

i primarly make session beers. 1.060 and less, accept for a few different occasions.

I found the table for prizes kind of commical. In that the big ticket items you'd think people would take first, well most of the people that took "first" most likely already had that. I can imagine there was a fight over a wort chiller when second and thrid got up to pick!

Yeah, I grabbed the Weyerbacher swag and left some more pricey things behind. The Weyerbacher prize was stuff that I'd never buy for myself.

Yeah, I was. I picked up the Dock St Growler, and a gift cert to their place. None of the equipment that was there was usable to me. I guess i could have gone with a gift cert to keystone instead. I like the swingtop growlers though, and wanted another one. i was ok with it. The beer was a 4.5% (on the button) chocolate peanut butter stout (Ode to a Reese's Cup).

Sounds incredible, good luck in the second round of this thing. I think the winners from Barry's will be announced tomorrow.

The beer I entered turned out great, but its just a pretty standard ESB so I'm not sure its what the judges will be looking for. If they wanted wacky and wild then I likely wont be advancing, but if its basically who can brew a well crafted beer then I think Ive got a shot.

Table 18 - English and Imperial IPA (22 Entries)

nice! Congrats!
Sounds incredible, good luck in the second round of this thing. I think the winners from Barry's will be announced tomorrow.

The beer I entered turned out great, but its just a pretty standard ESB so I'm not sure its what the judges will be looking for. If they wanted wacky and wild then I likely wont be advancing, but if its basically who can brew a well crafted beer then I think Ive got a shot.
I have no idea if I'm in the second round or not, i'll wait until I have confirmation on that one. I don't think they wanted anything wacky, just "sessionable". That said, I'm not really sure if mine is sessionable. It's pretty sweet, just low in alcohol.

the lack of communication on this thing is annoying. Can't find anything on the phillybeerscene site.

I think that shops were going to be swapping bottles with other shops for judging. How did you find out where or when your entries were being judged?

Yea thats what I was told as well, but I wonder if they changed that format since some shops had a bunch of entries and others only had 2.

I saw on Barrys facebook page that they will announce the winners in their newsletter that comes out tomorrow. I dont know if that means its just the winners from Barrys or the winners from each shop.

well I don't get Barry's emails (since I've never been there). Let me know what it says!

Thanks for the compliments guys. Next brew day, you're welcome to come on over. Usually have something on the smoker as well as the brew.

Here's my water report from Ambler done on 14 Jan 2011 by Ward Labs:

pH 6.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 337
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.56
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.9/5.5
Sodium, Na 19ppm
Potassium, K 3ppm
Calcium, Ca 74ppm
Magnesium, Mg 15ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 248ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N 2.6ppm (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 8ppm
Chloride, Cl 62ppm
Carbonate, CO3 <1ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3 188ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 154ppm

It's pretty alkaline. I go to Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting and fill up jugs of distilled water and cut my tap water for pale beers. I also use phosphoric acid to acidify my sparge water in order to reduce alkalinity.

Nice! Well, I submitted mine at Keystone. Derek Fess - dfess1 = very original...

Now, coffee in a beer that is not a porter or a stout. hrmm

Back