3rd Circle Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I call my "brewery", 3rd Circle Brewery. The 3rd circle of Dante's Hell is where gluttons were sent for punishment. In keeping with this, the theme for all my beer names/labels is related to Dante's Hell or something along similar devilish lines.

8349-satan.jpg

Satan's Wrath, a Belgian Style Witbier

8349-mammon.jpg

Mammon's Avarice, a Chocolate Cream Stout

8349-Asmodeus.jpg

Asmodeus' Lust, a Belgian Style Quadrupel

8349-impaled.jpg

ImPaled Ale, an Imperial IPA

i like the label designs alot. the actual pics you used are a tad gruesome, however. did you pick them to weed out those with a weak costitution? my fav is the ESB label.
i could not use those pics personally. i only allow adults to consume my beer, but i like everyone to look at the label regardless of age.
not meant as a criticism of course, just a style/taste differential.
BTW...are any/all of those pics from the collection depicting Vlad Dracul?

nice job of the designs, I really like them...especially since people are catching it left and right in most of those pics

The images are historical block prints depicting the punishments that await sinners in the various hells. The names (Lucifer, Mammon, Satan, etc.) are the demons that reign over each circle of hell. Wikipedia for 7 Sins.

The ImPaled Ale image is a block print depicting Vlad Tepes (Vlad Dracul III) dining at a mass impalement outside Brasov.

I have labels for the 3 remaining sin (Sloth, Envy, Pride), 4 labels for mead named after the horses of the Four Horsement of the Apocolypse (White Horse, Red Horse, Black Horse, Pale Horse), and a host of theme related labels.

Will post other labels as I brew the beers associated with them.

Very happy and joyful!

So is the circle 3 isn't a reference to the Trinity? :D

I like the use of the wood blocks and the reference in your name. Very clever.

I wouldn't change a thing. It is classic art brought to people who might not otherwise get the chance to appreciate it for what it is, stark and emotional. This is how the Church was able to gain such power in the middle ages on..... imagery.

Plus there is a story to the name and a theme throughout.

Awesome concept carried out very well.

-J

My original idea was to make actual wood block prints and print each label. I think someone else did something similar.

Multiple prints for each label (one for each color used) seemed like a lot of work, so I decided just to use Photoshop.

Perhaps when I do a "special", I will consider using a block print.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

...definitely a bit on the dark side; but then again, I picked Atilla the Hun for my first label. I like the consistency in your theme.

Yeah, the text can be a bit tough to read on some. Actually, I think some the smaller type size at the bottom of the label is easier to read than some of the larger type font at the top of the label. If I can find an easier to read font that fits, I'll probably change over.

Perhaps this label is a bit easier to read:

8349-FleetStreetPorterTemplate.jpg

Mr. S. Todd's Fleet Street Porter, a Bourbon Oak Porter (as yet unbrewed)
Don't know who Mr. S. Todd is?

And even more challenging than any of the labels above:

8349-TheRedHorseTemplate.jpg

The Red Horse, a Vanilla Cinnamon Mead

There actually is a Highway 666 up in the four corners region. Actually, they have changed it now. @#$% people who take things too seriously!

666.jpg

Brewpastor said:
There actually is a Highway 666 up in the four corners region. Actually, they have changed it now. @#$% people who take things too seriously!

666.jpg

People that live in fear of a highway designation have sad lives.

Back