Franziskaner Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Anyone have a good Franzi clone? Bill, you make a lot of Hefe's, have you ever found a good recipe? My friend loves Franz and thinks it's the best beer on the market. I'd like to show him I can make a beer at least as good - if not better - than his fave. PS, Extract or Partial please. I don't have an AG set up.

Here you go. I upped the dme by 10% (from 5.75 lbs) so I could top off to 5.5 gals. BC called for Wyeast 3638, but I used the white labs cuz I don't like smacking things.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (from Beer Captured)

4 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
2 oz Acid Malt

6 lb. 5 oz. Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract
2¼ oz. Malto Dextrin

1 oz. American Hallertauer @ 3.5% (bittering hop)

¼ oz. Spalt (flavor hop)
¼ oz. Perle (flavor hop)

White Labs #WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

1½ cup Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract

OG: 1.052

El Pistolero said:
Here you go. I upped the dme by 10% (from 5.75 lbs) so I could top off to 5.5 gals. BC called for Wyeast 3638, but I used the white labs cuz I don't like smacking things.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (from Beer Captured)

4 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
2 oz Acid Malt

6 lb. 5 oz. Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract
2¼ oz. Malto Dextrin

1 oz. American Hallertauer @ 3.5% (bittering hop)

¼ oz. Spalt (flavor hop)
¼ oz. Perle (flavor hop)

White Labs #WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

1½ cup Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract

OG: 1.052

THANK YOU!! I've been looking all over but have been unable to find a good recipe. I owe you that next Manu Chao CD. Have you made this before? If so, how did it turn out?

BTW, do you have some instructions with times to add everything?

1) Heat 1/2 gallon water to 155, then add the grains. Steep for 30 minutes.
2) Sparge with 1 gallon 150 degree water, then bring wort to boil
3) Add extract & malto-dextrin, top off to 2 1/2 gallons, bring to boil
4) Add Hallertauer...boil 45 minutes
5) Add Spalt & Perle...boil additional 15 mins
6) Cool and top off to 5.5 gallons
7) Pitch yeast

I did brew this...just before the hurricane hit. At four days the bubbling had slowed, but there was still a huge head of krausen. The sample tasted absolutely fantastic. Then with Rita moving in I decided not to move to secondary. With the power out and ice needed for the kids the temp ended up way over 90 for a couple of day. Without going into painful detail, I ended up pitching it...but I'm going to try again batch after next.

El Pistolero said:
...but I'm going to try again batch after next.

Want to do a simultaneous brew? I've got three going right now, so I can wait a few weeks until you're ready. In the end we can swap and see how it tastes. You use White Labs, I'll use Wyeast and we'll see if there's a difference.

El Pistolero said:
Sounds like a plan to me.

Let me know when you're ready. By the way, what's next for Pistol Pete? Don't you have some kind of hurricane brew you were going to make? Some Meter Maidbrau or something?

Meter Maid's Scotch Ale...brewed it last Thursday night. It's five days in the primary, still a bubble every 10 secs and 2 1/2 inches of krauzen. I overshot the OG on this one (shooting for 1.076, got 1.083) so I suspect it's gonna take it's time. Guess I'm gonna have to go get another primary, cuz I've got another batch I'm itchen to brew now.

Sorry to jump in here, but I am trying to identify a 'problem' in a beer that I recently made. I put quotes around the word, because the flavor that I am experiencing is something I have tasted in some successful commercial beers. I personally don't care for the taste, though.

Anyway, Franziskaner is the only beer that I can put a name to at the moment that exhibits the flavor I don't like. Specifically... it's the aftertaste present in Franziskaner that is also showing up in my porter, and I don't like it.

SO, since this looks like a good thread to get info about Franziskaner, I decied to hyjack it for a bit.

Can any of you Franzi fans put a name or description to the aftertaste that remains after swallowing a big mouthful of this beer?

It this the 'banana' flavor? Is it the yeast?

-walker

IMHO, your question was already answered in the other post (typical hefe yeast banana/phenol taste). To prove it to yourself, brew a hefe batch...after you've experienced the concentrated taste in the fermenting wort it's easy to identify the more subtle taste in the finished product.

El Pistolero said:
IMHO, your question was already answered in the other post (typical hefe yeast banana/phenol taste).

With all due respect, I didn't think my question was answered in the other thread. Just some suggestions, guesses, and my own speculation that it was the esters. No definitive answer or even acknowledgement of what the aftertaste of Franziskaner is.

But, if you feel it was answered and is the typical banana/ester of a hefe, then I'll consider it answered NOW and move on. :)

Thanks.

-walker

Gonna try to rock this batch this weekend. Question: the extra dme at the end is for?

On my last jefe I save some wort to do a natural krausening. Is this similar?

Also how did it come out? Hefes are my favorite and definitely always need to be on tap

elmetal, DME = Dry Malt Extract

I started this Franziskaner Hefe clone recipe on Saturday night. It's fermenting in the primary, I'm thinking about racking it to a secondary, how long should I wait before racking it to the secondary fermenter?

I forgot to mention that I started with a 5.5 lb (5 lbs 8 oz) bag of Wheat DME, then added in an additional 1 lb 6 oz bag of Wheat DME on Tuesday, which made it a 6 gallon batch. This additional malt reactivated the yeast again and it needed a blow-off hose.

Two and a half weeks ago I brewed a Dunkel Wiezen. The WYEAST 3086 that I used was from a local brew store that was going out of business. A couple of hours after I smacked it I noticed that it had not started to swell, then I noticed that the date on it was Jan 10th (over six months old). I pitched it anyway. Fermentation did not start until three days later; it fermented nicely for five days. I took a gravity reading a few days ago and drank the sample, I was amazed to taste enormous esters, very close to my memory of Franziskaner.

Two and a half weeks ago I brewed a Dunkel Wiezen. The WYEAST 3086 that I used was from a local brew store that was going out of business. A couple of hours after I smacked it I noticed that it had not started to swell, then I noticed that the date on it was Jan 10th (over six months old). I pitched it anyway. Fermentation did not start until three days later; it fermented nicely for five days. I took a gravity reading a few days ago and drank the sample, I was amazed to taste enormous esters, very close to my memory of Franziskaner.

classic underpitching...some hb'ers will purposefully underpitch their hefe in order to enhance the esters

elmetal, DME = Dry Malt Extract

I started this Franziskaner Hefe clone recipe on Saturday night. It's fermenting in the primary, I'm thinking about racking it to a secondary, how long should I wait before racking it to the secondary fermenter?

No replies... no worries. I decided to keep it in the primary, and will do so until it's completed fermentation.

Rezing this thread while looking for Fanziskaner clones. Was looking for AG method, but really appreciated the talk here. If you guys see this, how did the comparison brew go on the diff yeasts?

I also appreciated learning about underpitching enhancing esters, although I love Franzi because it goes right to the edge of the banana patch without falling in. I love Karl Strauss hef most still I think, but others are usually very weak and thin.

Note the batch size of 12.0gal + efficiency of 76%. I would have used all 2-row but I had some pilsener I needed to use.

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/15/2011
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.74 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 47.37 %
5 lbs 15.5 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 31.42 %
3 lbs 0.5 oz 2-row (1.8 SRM) Grain 15.95 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Bitterness: 11.3 IBU
Est Color: 3.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash 90 minutes @ 153F.

M_C

Hi,

This is probably to late to post but I thought I would anyway. My guess is that Franzikaner and Paulaner recipes would probably be pretty much the same since they are both brewed in Munich and the breweries are both over 400 years old. Anyway, this link lists a 5-gal batch from a guy who supposedly created the recipe from a tour of the Paulaner brewery. I have used this recipe and the beer is quite nice.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=40751

So, it can probably be used for the Franzikaner clone with some very slight modifications. But that is the fun of home brewing anyway.

Happy Brewing...

Trip

Hi,

This is probably to late to post but I thought I would anyway. My guess is that Franzikaner and Paulaner recipes would probably be pretty much the same since they are both brewed in Munich and the breweries are both over 400 years old. Anyway, this link lists a 5-gal batch from a guy who supposedly created the recipe from a tour of the Paulaner brewery. I have used this recipe and the beer is quite nice.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=40751

So, it can probably be used for the Franzikaner clone with some very slight modifications. But that is the fun of home brewing anyway.

Happy Brewing...

Trip
Good link. :mug:

Here is some inspiration straight from the munich beer gardens

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

I brewed a batch of hefe yesterday and wasnt exactly going for a Franzi clone but it looks like I came pretty close to MC's recipe. I used Crystal since I didnt have any Hallertau, and the IBUs may be a bit higher since I do no chill. I was planning on splitting the batch between WLP300 and US-05 but I may just go all hefe yeast since I have a 3/4 gallon starter bubbling right now. Anyone think this is worth pitching US-05?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Home Brewing Software, Recipes, Podcast and Blog
Recipe: Franziskaner Clone
Brewer: Kevin
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) Conditioned grains (not flaked) 10 minutes prior to tight crush. Started mash at 8:35AM at a temp of 157 and went to bball.

Split half with US-05 cake, other half with Hefe Ale Yeast WLP300

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.65 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 3.9 %
8 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 41.6 %
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 36.4 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Red Wheat Malt, Ger (6.0 SRM) Grain 4 13.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.2 %
2.00 oz Crystal [3.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 12.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.5 IBUs
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 10 -
1.0 pkg US-S05 [50.00 ml] Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 4.0 oz

Against my original plan I decided to pitch the WLP300 into both 5 gallon fermentors. Like I said I had about 3/4 of a gallon of starter, and I wouldnt have been able to pitch the entire thing into one of them due to head space limitations (fermenting under pressure in 5 gallon cornies). The starter smelled too good to dump. I even pulled off about a pint to give to a buddy at work that brews.

Question: the extra dme at the end is for?

Also how did it come out? Hefes are my favorite and definitely always need to be on tap

I too am confused by the extra DME (I didn't add the extra DME and it turned out just fine).

I used this recipe (modified a bit in Beer Smith) and it turned out FANTASTIC!!! I wanted to make a unique version though- a hoppy hef using citrus-type hops. I added citra and cascade hops and the result is just incredible- the perfect hefe flavor followed with just the right amount of a citrusy-hoppy backbone.

(other than the extra DME at the end and the addition of the citrus hops) I followed the instructions provided (topped off to 5.5 gal, 45 min boil, etc). Also, I substituted Tettnang for Spalt (a similar hop..an appropriate substitution).

:ban: The Hoppy Monkey Hefeweizen:

4.0 oz Aromatic Malt
2.0 oz Acid Malt
6 lbs Wheat Dry Extract
2.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.97 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.24 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml] Yeast
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.25 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.050
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9
Bitterness: 46.7 IBUs
Est Color: 6.8 SRM

So I brewed the original recipe from the first page. 5.5g batch, steeped the specialty grains, boiled an hour, etc. etc. Everything seemed to go as it should have, except I got the steeping/mash temps a little high. Hit 160F (on my electric stove) for about 5-6 minutes before I could bring it back down to 155F.

After all that, I got an OG of 1.062. That's a bit higher than the recipe's 1.052. Anybody know why that might have happened? I followed the recipe EXACTLY, except for getting a little high at the beginning of the steeping/mash temp. I guess it doesn't really matter, it will just be a little stronger than the original recipe, right?

Yeah, I'm not really worried about it, but just found it odd that I was off by that much.

I had some SERIOUS fermentation going within 10 hours of pitching the WLP300, too. I had to add a blowoff tube immediately when I got up yesterday morning, and it sounds like someone blowing bubbles in a glass of water. VERY active fermentation.

It just means that you got better efficiency then the original poster. If you do it again you may want to adjust your recipe to lower it down as stronger is not always better.

Anybody got any input on how long this should be left in the fermentor? I'm hoping to have all my kegging supplies on hand by the time this is ready, but that may not happen, so it will most likely get bottled. Is this a beer that is fine left alone for a month, or is it better to bottle/keg sooner or later than that?

Looking forward to trying this - Franzi is the only brew my wife and I both love! I'm fairly new to homebrewing, so I have a few questions: 1) Is the 1.5 cups DME in the ingredients list in addition to the 6lb 5oz at the top of the list? If so, when is it added? 2) Can you please expand on instruction steps 1 and 2? What do you do with the water you add in step 1? I think I understand sparging, but do you keep all the water in steps 1 and 2? 3) What do you do with the grains after step 2? Do you keep them in the wort or discard?
Thanks!

Back