Phil's Mill Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
I just grabbed one of these fro my LHBS. Seems cool enough. I wrapped some paper towels around the roller to be sure there were no metal filings or anything on it. Turns out it's almost a granite-like powder that comes off it. Quite a bit of it. Is there any way to clean the roller more efficiently? I don't want to get this material on my grains and was hoping to brew today. These are mainly specialty grains, so it isn't like I will be grinding too much...Any thoughts?

Before anyone asks, my LHBS does NOT crush grains. :mad:

I know I've missed your timing window, but a great way to clean mills and grinders is with rice. Run a cup or two of white rice through the mill and discard. The rice dust left behind shouldn't be enough to be a problem.

--Matthew

The above is good advice. Rice would be an ideal and cheap grain to use. I have a motorized Phil Mill I and IMO, it's very highly underrated. I particularly value the ability to adjust it on the fly. This eliminates the need for feeler gages and is much easier than stopping the mill, loosening set screws, turning eccentric bushings, tightening the set screws, checking the gap, checking the grist and repeating the whole procedure if necessary. Most with other mills just say screw it and leave their mills at the same setting for everything. Unfortunately, I've heard that the Phil Mills are no longer in production and that's a shame.

Back