Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put the first batch of smoked salsa verde into the smoker. I ended up with 25 pounds of tomatillos and about 5 pounds of jalapenos at the beginning of this week so I'll be blending and canning this evening.

65b9e081-0f36-46f4-930a-70e9d552ff1c-jpeg.570825

You should brine it first too, make a huge difference! I like to stuff with sweet and tart apples and some citrus
My daughter-in-law feels the same. She graduated from Cordon Blue...you guess know your stuff. [emoji6]Thinking about mustard and these cajon spices. Hear good things..
20180518_162159.jpeg

Last edited:
got some split chicken breasts im gonna throw in the smoker sunday while im doing a quick SMASH brew at the same time.

my GF loves these spilt breasts smoked and they are dirt cheap

Wow, that salsa looks great. I got chuck roasts on. They were buy one get one free so I threw them both on. I think I mentioned before that I'm not buying meat in bulk anymore. When I used to see a sale I would load up. And I might still on hams and briskets or other deals I can't pass up. But the reality is just going to the store and getting something to smoke on Saturday morning has been better. Forgetting to pull meat out to thaw has left me with nothing at times. There's usually something on sale, so I'm going to just see how this goes.

Btw, I noticed there were two types of chuck roast in there. One type was about 16 to $18 and looked like a big Fred Flintstone steak. The other chuck roast pack was closer to 24 to $26 and each pack had two small chuck roast in it. They looked more marbled and better to me so that's what I got. Anyone know the difference?

Ps, I don't know for smoking, but my mother-in-law brines her turkey every year and i dont think its worth doing. I think it makes the breast meat mushy. I don't know how it would turn out smoked but the turkey we make is a Giada De Laurentiis recipe. The inside of the turkey get stuffed with lemons oranges and onions roughly chopped. As well as sprigs of Rosemary, sage, and oregano. Then the outside of the skin and under the skin is rubbed with a mixture of olive oil and butter and herbs de Provence. It's covered and left to sit overnight. And it is amazing.

Last edited:
Forgetting to pull meat out to thaw has left me with nothing at times.

This is exactly why we usually have at least one shelf full of canned meat. I’ll can some, smoke some and can it, make some with spaghetti sauce and can it, etc. Once you start canning meat, buying bulk when the sales hit isn’t as worrisome because even if you forget to pull some out of the freezer, you’ve got some canned ready to go. Assuming you buy meat - I try not to.

Had to work this morning so running way late. Mustard, honey (wife wanted), stuffed with apples then a liberal amount of Tony's. Probably only do 3hrs then pop in the oven to finish cooking.

Mixed bag of smoke but mostly oak then some Mesquite and leftover hickory.
20180519_140934_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:
This is exactly why we usually have at least one shelf full of canned meat. I’ll can some, smoke some and can it, make some with spaghetti sauce and can it, etc. Once you start canning meat, buying bulk when the sales hit isn’t as worrisome because even if you forget to pull some out of the freezer, you’ve got some canned ready to go. Assuming you buy meat - I try not to.
Haha, ok ill give it a try sometime. What is canned meat? I have been wanting to get into canning lately anyways. Boil process stuff. There is a great sale this week on Rainier honeycrisp apples my favorite. What can I do to can them? Thanks man

Haha, ok ill give it a try sometime. What is canned meat? I have been wanting to get into canning lately anyways. Boil process stuff. There is a great sale this week on Rainier honeycrisp apples my favorite. What can I do to can them? Thanks man

Make applesauce, spiced apples, apple butter, etc.

You’ll need a pressure canner to do meat. Basically you just preserve the meat by pressure cooking it in a glass jar. When it’s done, it can sit at room temperature for a long long time. There are different recipes you can use so you have less work when you open them, or you can just can plain ol’ meat and cook it however you want when you open it.

Making two pork butts for tacos tomorrow. It's my youngest boy's 10th birthday.

My ugly drum rusted out after many years of service. I had a stainless drum left from when we planned to upgrade to a 1bbl brewery. I finally took a few hours to swap over the hardware today. I imagine this one will last a lot longer than the first.

I also have an inkbird Bluetooth thermometer to try out that I got for a gift. Haven't smoked anything since Christmas so this will be fun with all the new stuff. I hope it all works. Of course it just started raining...

IMG_20180519_173808366_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180519_173820217.jpg

My ugly drum rusted out after many years of service. I had a stainless drum left from when we planned to upgrade to a 1bbl brewery. I finally took a few hours to swap over the hardware today. I imagine this one will last a lot longer than the first.

I also have an inkbird Bluetooth thermometer to try out that I got for a gift. Haven't smoked anything since Christmas so this will be fun with all the new stuff. I hope it all works. Of course it just started raining...

View attachment 571049
View attachment 571050

Bad@ss

Just put the first batch of smoked salsa verde into the smoker. I ended up with 25 pounds of tomatillos and about 5 pounds of jalapenos at the beginning of this week so I'll be blending and canning this evening.

65b9e081-0f36-46f4-930a-70e9d552ff1c-jpeg.570825

I like that idea. Love Chipotle salsa.

I was thinking of making my own Chipotle bbq sauce for this coming smoked filled weekend. I contemplated making my own chipotles in adobo too. I use Chipotles in adobo more than any other sauce for basting. I like slathering on country ribs, then smoke then until perfection. Any meat is good with this if just on the grill especially if you want a smokey hot flavor without the duration of smoking.

The last time I had a jar Chipotle salsa, I dumped the whole jar into two bowls. One for dipping tortilla chips, the other to toss with medium or large raw shelled and deveined shrimp. Drank two beers, listened to some ZZ Top for an hour, then skewered them onto bamboo barbeque sticks. They take no more than 6 minutes on a hot grill.

I'd even throw that salsa on grilled white fish. Just put a layer of thin lemon or lime slices on a cedar plank, drop your fish that paint it with your Chipotle salsa and grill until it flakes with a fork. I'd serve that on a bed of white rice with a side of black beans and Watermelon Pico De Gallo (regular pico with watermelon in place of roma tomatoes). Fvcken tastey with some smoked beer.

I have a smoked-oak pale heavily hopped with saaz that should be friggen awesome by Friday. Just put it on gas Thursday evening.

I cleaned the smoker really well before putting these ribs in and man it made a big difference. I’m about halfway done and they’re all kinds of smoky and pretty much perfect. Just hit them with some goods and will be taking them out in about 3 more hours.

My son's plate...

IMG_20180520_182200660.jpg

Definitely a hit. Everyone got real quiet for a while.

I had too many thermometers in the pot. I like the inkbird for monitoring but my probes were way off compared to my thermapen. I ended up second guessing my trusty old dial thermometer on the smoker and that mistake added a few hours of time.

Success after all though.

@Schlenkerla. I ordered a case of Chipotle adobo.

Last edited:
Finally had the smoked turkey last night. The perfect amount of smoke pervaded the entire turkey. That Tony's mustard/honey rub was phenomenal. Didn't get any apple from the stuffing but didn't matter. Can't wait to do a brisket the same way!

Last edited:
Brisket & chicken. The brisket was on for about 8 hours, then I added chicken for the last 2 and a half hours. Smoked with some wild cherry that we cut down a couple years ago plus some hickory chips. Hot sweaty work, but worth the effort.

Attachments

• IMG_0201[1].JPG
    IMG_0201[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
^^That sounds so good. I have always cooked them the other way around. Simmered in beer and then grilled or smoked. Curious to learn more about this method.

View attachment 571049
View attachment 571050
DUDE!!!! That is AWESOME!!! Walk me through what I am looking at and how it works exactly PLEASE :)

CHeers
Jay

Back