Getting yeast from a commercial bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a Bell's Two Hearted ale clone. It seems that getting yeat out of a actual bottle of this beer is the way to go. How do I go about collecting it from the commercial bottle.

You're also going to want to make sure that Bell's uses the same yeast to bottle condition and don't pasturize their beers before sending out to market. If you do wind up getting the yeast from the bottle, let us know how it turns out.

You're also going to want to make sure that Bell's uses the same yeast to bottle condition and don't pasturize their beers before sending out to market. If you do wind up getting the yeast from the bottle, let us know how it turns out.

That was pretty much established here years ago that they DO indeed have the primary source yeast in their bottles. Actually very few breweries, mostly belgian, intentionally disguise their yeast, or go with a totally different yeast strain at bottling. And that's mostly hig grav beers. But Bell's indeed has their houe strain in it Folks have successfully harvest from 2 hearted and iirc Amber.

That was pretty much established here years ago that they DO indeed have the primary source yeast in their bottles. Actually very few breweries, mostly belgian, intentionally disguise their yeast, or go with a totally different yeast strain at bottling. And that's mostly hig grav beers. But Bell's indeed has their houe strain in it Folks have successfully harvest from 2 hearted and iirc Amber.

I did not know that. Thank you, Revvy.

Just take your time stepping up the yeast. You should step up no more than ten times the volume of the prior step, so your first step should be very small. I typically get enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch within about a week. You don't have to, but you may want to think about adding a pinch of yeast nutrient, if you have it, to that first step to make sure the yeast get off to a good start.

Oberon as well. I successfully harvested from 3 bottles into a small 500 ml starter on stir plate and stepped up from there. Not a bad idea to use some yeast nutrient too since those guys in the bottle have been pretty abused compared to your typical smack pack yeast!

Back