Filtration.....worth it? I am thinking so, what do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I am wondering what system most brewers use for filtration. I have read, and searched and no one has said "This is the one that is the best/good/economical.

Anyone?

~Diz

I bought a plate filter from NB several years ago. I used it exactly once and probably never will again. It worked just fine, but I found it to be a major PIA to use and the filter pads are kind of pricey. Now, I simply cold condition the beer allowing it to clear naturally. Now I would only consider filtering if I had to meet a deadline for some reason.

I bought a plate filter from NB several years ago. I used it exactly once and probably never will again.

ha ha i've used mine once i hope i use it again but that was 6 months ago:cross: i agree its realy only worth it if you want to get it done quick.

I use a refrigerator and time.

+2, works great for me.

I know some brewers who use cheap whole house water filters for their beer. I've only used mine to filter water, so I can't speak to how well they work / don't work for beer. Seems to me like you'd lose a lot of beer to deadspace, but maybe they know something I don't.

If you're just aiming for a clearer beer, I found mine to get much clearer with a 3 week primary. I've done that the last few batches and they came out great.

Month longn primary, plenty of time to bottle carb and condition, a minimum of a week in the fridge to flocculate out the yeast and make for a tight yeastcake in the bottle, and pouring from the shoulder, leaving the sediment behind has been all the "filtering" I've ever needed.

Back