Curry Ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
So I want to brew a curry ale . . . a mix of cardomom, cumin and coriander and maybe a bit of tumeric as well. Its gonna be an experimental batch.

Any thoughts and ideas about what grains and yeast and all to use? I have no idea. Perhaps something akin to a pale ale??? Any advice out there?

I'm not a curry fan....but, I wonder if you could get some of those flavors from the yeast and hops as well? Sounds almost like a belgian... :D

I'm interested to hear the results, if you find a recipe.

If you go with black cardamom go easy, we used 3 grams in 15 gallons of big/dark/funky saison, and it was almost too much.

I guess it depends on the kind of curry. Fish sauce is an essential ingredient in thai curry but I wouldn't put that in my beer either! :D

But if you really want to do it I think your best bet would be to make a lager to showcase the flavors. Indian beers tend to be light colored lagers and I think that would allow the spices to take the forefront. Go light on the grain bill with pilsner malt making up the majority of fermentable with perhaps a little vienna for some complexity and to fill out the flavor. Bitter very lightly, probably 15-20 IBU and use no late hops as I think they will clash with the spices. W-34/70 is a very good dry yeast that makes great lagers. I'd go with that.

I would go with a garam masala. "The composition of garam masala differs regionally, with wide variety across India. Some common ingredients are black & white peppercorns, cloves, malabar leaves, long pepper (also known as pippali), black cumin (known as shahi jeera), cumin seeds, cinnamon, black, brown, & green cardamom, nutmeg, star anise and coriander seeds. Varying combinations of these and other spices are used in regional variants of garam masala,[1] none of which is considered more authentic than another" from wikipedia.

I would use a Belgian Strong Dark Ale or Belgian Strong Golden Ale malt and yeast. Wostyntje is brewed with mustard seed so that might be a good base beer to try.

You could experiment with buying a few commercial beers, icing them down till near freezing. Open them up, dump some spices in and reseal them. It would be a good bench mark to get you started.

Well, i finally did it. At the last 10 minutes of a 60 minute boil, I added in the following . . .

cardomom
coridander
mustard seed
fenugreek seed
Turmeric
Ginger

oh crap. these was one other thing that I added but can't seem to remember. it wasn't cumin (i took the advice of the other poster). i'll post that final ingredient when i remember.

it smelled good. it'll either be a total hit or, upon consumption, will induce vomiting . . .

Well, i finally did it. At the last 10 minutes of a 60 minute boil, I added in the following . . .

cardomom
coridander
mustard seed
fenugreek seed
Turmeric
Ginger

oh crap. these was one other thing that I added but can't seem to remember. it wasn't cumin (i took the advice of the other poster). i'll post that final ingredient when i remember.

it smelled good. it'll either be a total hit or, upon consumption, will induce vomiting . . .

MMMMMM!!! That will be a great marinade.................;)

I don't typically drink marinades.

the additional ingredient was mace. they were all whole spices (not powdered) which I crushed.

what is a grain bill?

It was all grain. i don't have the recipe on me; its at home and will post the answers to your questions when i get it.

Damn, yo. That was so bad, cheezydemon3, that I am actually laughing at it. I guess your screen name is perfect for you.

Back