Two packets of dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenbagis

Reaction score
So for my first batch, I decided to use two packets of S-04 yeast as an insurance policy. I figured, I wouldn't have as many concerns about lag time or strong enough fermentation.

I'm planning out my second batch, a porter (OG ~1.050) and was wondering if it was worth pitching two packets again.

What do you think? Is it worth ~$3 to pitch two packets? At minimum, I'll order two, in case the first packet doesn't bubble when I proof...

Below 1.060 = 1 packet with a spare back up in the rare case you get a dud.
Above 1.060 = 2 packets with a spare in case lag takes more than 36 hours.

Lagers = 2 no matter what. 3 above 1.060.

Thanks for the quick response.

Gila, sounds like a good rule of thumb.

XXguy, I'll use the mrmalty calculator for now on, but I think it if says more than 1 packet, I'll go with 2. Can't hurt can it?

waldoar, I got lucky without a blowoff tube the first batch, but I'll definitely use one for now on.

XXguy, I'll use the mrmalty calculator for now on, but I think it if says more than 1 packet, I'll go with 2. Can't hurt can it?

Hurt as in ruin? Not really. Keep you from making the best beer you can? Possibly.

Read up about over-pitching. Sometimes getting a fast & furious fermentation from over-pitching means that your beer might not develop all the full flavors that the recipe was intended to provide.

It's your choice what you do. Have fun with it.

I've never had a problem with 1 packet of a Fermentis strain, and since my LHBS wants nearly as much for fermentis as a vial or smack pack, two packs gets to be a bit pricey.

I'm willing to risk it on my batches :)

Back