Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never broken one, but I have a question. Is that paper scale anchored in any way other than it being rolled up and pressed against the inside of the glass? what's to keep it from shifting? How do I check the calibration of mine to make sure the paper hasn't moved?

If you use pure water, it should read 1.000. If not, adjust accordingly.

Oh, and I've seen this thread and thought "Glad that's not me!"; yet here I am reporting that we need to add a +1 to the running total.

Five years and 46 batches, and I've never broken one while brewing. I have had one broken by a friend who knocked it out of the drying rack and onto the kitchen counter.

One hydrometer in my house was broken yesterday (not by me), crushed against the side of a large tub of approx 18g star san by a bulky object. Pumped the star san out to other containers at the end of the brew day and filtered/wiped out the remaining shards.

Its been probably 4 years since one got broken, I think 2 broke in the past.

No, I don't think the scale is anchored in most of them.

Put it in distilled water at its calibrated temperature and see if it reads 1.000, to check its calibration. (I just use tap water; it's not going to have enough dissolved stuff in there to read a point higher than it would in distilled.)

I've only broken one.
I kept it in the plastic shipping container they come in... Pulled the cap off tube to replace the hydrometer and dropped it in... When I heard it crash on the floor, I realized I took the cap off the other end to get the hydo out... it slid straight through and out the other end.

hmmmm, I'm not sure, but quite a few. At least 3 broken ones that I can definitely recall, including one that I broke before I'd used it even once. I bought two now so I'd have a spare. With my luck, I'm never going to need the spare...

If I'd been thinking, though, I probably would have given up on hydrometers altogether:
-place the sample container (a graduated cylinder is perfect) on an accurate kitchen scale (the one you use for measuring out hops, +/- 0.1 grams is good, but the more accurate it is, the smaller the sample size needs to be)
-'tare' the scale
-pour in a measured sample at 'standard conditions' (i.e. 25 degrees C)
-simple math: 1.015, for example, means that 1000mL would weigh 1015g; or 100mL, 101.5g; or a 10mL, 10.15g (isn't metric fun?)

Easier, cheaper, and more accurate than your average hydrometer.

Running Total: 67

Just spent about 20 minutes on hold. Had to do something.

Please include the running total in your post.

Finally broke one last night. Something landed on it while sitting in starsan.

That was about a dozen batches worth.

I broke mine after three batches, and have made three more successful batches just guessing. Just got a refractometer though, and have yet to try it out.

+1 = 75

2 years 4

Sorry I want to clarify I was in a hurry. I broke 2, and my boys who watch dada play Mad Beer Scientist all the time broke 2.

Notes on 1, dropping a hydrom into a beaker of isoproyl alcohol will not slow down before smashing off the bottom.

Notes on 2, hydroms make great "levels" also cause they roll off anything flat that is NOT level, and you wint forget it.

Notes on 3, They make lossey swords.

Notes on 4, They make great missles.

+2 = 80

I'm currently awaiting my new refractometer from ebay, as I'm done with those damn rolling glass bastards.

+1 = 81

SWTBO put not one, but three pots stacked together on top of my hydrometer, then "didn't think the crunch was anything to be concerned about" so I didn't know it was broken until I was looking to take the OG of a recipe

I was a drunken fool on brewday so I broke one that I really liked. That brings my total broken to two. Since I have not posted on this thread before 81+20=83.

This batch will go untested and I will have to guess on the abv...

Didn't break a hydrometer this weekend, but I used a hydrometer to break my glass testing tube for it by dropping it in too hard... doh, stupid pointy heavy end. +0. Cost me about the same to replace the tube though. Only used it twice.

a few weeks ago, just cleaned it and put it back in the tube it came in when the bottom of the tube came off and shattered all over the garage floor. I don't get why those tubes have a lid on both ends.
guess that makes 87

Back