Cork 12oz. beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniles38

Reaction score
I am trying to figure the best way to bottle my still mead.

I cannot see myself ever drinking more than a glass at a time, so I would like to put it into as small of bottles as possible.

I also may want it to age for a year +, so I am thinking corks.

Suggestions on my best option please?

I am trying to figure the best way to bottle my still mead.

I cannot see myself ever drinking more than a glass at a time, so I would like to put it into as small of bottles as possible.

I also may want it to age for a year +, so I am thinking corks.

Suggestions on my best option please?
375 ml wine bottles and corks are probably the best way to go. That small sized bottle will hold 2 to 3 glasses (depending on how you pour), and mead can survive some time uncorked, in a fridge, so 2 to 3 glasses per open bottle sounds about right for you.

But it is a real pain to have to cork so many small bottles to begin with....

you can just use bottle caps and buy the wine wax and pour wine over the top to make them look purty

Really, bottle caps are the way to go. Much of the wine industry is migrating from corks. One vintner I know said they've gone from 4-5% storage losses to zero using caps.

Had some mead last year that had been bottled and capped in 1995. Excellent.

Ditto, you'd think caps would be better seeing as how they can't dry out. I would prefer bottling Mead in 8oz bottles if I could find them. I think that'd be the perfect size. I've only evener made one gallon though. I wouldn't want to bottle 5+G in 8oz bottles.

See, you think you could never have more than a glass at a time, but before you know it, you've drank a quart of Jaom.

Caps are definitely the way to go though.

Ditto, you'd think caps would be better seeing as how they can't dry out. I would prefer bottling Mead in 8oz bottles if I could find them. I think that'd be the perfect size. I've only evener made one gallon though. I wouldn't want to bottle 5+G in 8oz bottles.

My local grocery store has 6-pack Corona in 8oz bottles. I've been thinking of picking some up for the bottles (I can suffer through the Corona).

And I've seen 8-pack Hieneken in 8oz bottles recently.

The neck of a 12 oz beer bottle cannot withstand the internal pressure of a cork pushing out on all sides.
BUT there are crimp caps that have a layer of cork inside that will give you the benefits of cork, but the ease of a crimp cap.

I've been drinking groelsh beer just to get the bottles. Ez cap bottles, 16 oz. the beer ain't great, but it is not horrible either.

I've been drinking groelsh beer just to get the bottles. Ez cap bottles, 16 oz. the beer ain't great, but it is not horrible either.

Ya I'm not a fan either I have a glass of my cider then a few groelsh beers...

nitack said:

I have to agree. I just couldn't justify buying a case if flip top bottles empty and new than buying them filled with beer. So case of grolsch it was. And will be again soon come to think of it. Getting low on flip tops ready for filling.

GilSwillBasementBrews said:
I have to agree. I just couldn't justify buying a case if flip top bottles empty and new than buying them filled with beer. So case of grolsch it was. And will be again soon come to think of it. Getting low on flip tops ready for filling.

That was my thinking exactly. Maybe I'll open a bar that only serves flip top beer. Sell the beer, keep the bottles... Maybe a lot of work just for cheap home brewing bottles.

Back