Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
Been looking online for a corona mill and a bunch of people on my local craigslist are selling incredibly similar looking meat grinders.

Does the corona grill have some different bit/attachment? Anyone use a retrofitted meat grinder?

Meat grinders work on a different principle from grain mills. They wouldn't be suitable for crushing grain.

Yes, the mill you linked to on Ebay looks fine.

-Joe

'Corona' is mostly used a catch-all name (like kleenex). 'Corona-style' would be more appropriate. My mill for example is a corona-style made by Porkert.

'Corona' is mostly used a catch-all name (like kleenex). 'Corona-style' would be more appropriate. My mill for example is a corona-style made by Porkert.

Ahhhh. So it's likely that quality would be pretty standard for any brand of mill. Any particularly bad one?

Is there a difference in quality or durability between this mill and a corona?

Good question, I'm not sure if the "authentic" Corona or Porkert mills are higher quality, or are still even being manufactured. Most of what is currently available i would guess is made in China. The manufacturing is crude, but is usually tolerable. As far as durability, these things are cast iron and are almost indestructible.

If you were to find a "higher" quality corona style mill. The price might likely approach a good portion of a roller mill. Spending "real" money for these things doesn't make much sense to me. YMMV

IMO they are the best approach for milling on a budget, and do a fine job if you have the mechanical aptitude to adjust for a good crush. If this doesn't interest you, you should look at a roller mill.

Ahhhh. So it's likely that quality would be pretty standard for any brand of mill. Any particularly bad one?

Quality is not really a term that is suitable for these mills, IME it's almost nonexistent...They are crude, heavy, and strong...that being said, IMO they are all "bad", but can be adjusted to do a "good" job.

Quality is not really a term that is suitable for these mills, IME it's almost nonexistent...They are crude, heavy, and strong...that being said, IMO they are all "bad", but can be adjusted to do a "good" job.

I am just starting out with AG and want to get some bulk grains. Not ready to make the $100+ investment for a roller mill so will likely start out with a hand crank corona style.

If no one's explained it clear enough, this is a meat grinder...

Stainless_Steel_Meat_Grinder.jpg

Note the front plate, there are holes in it which the auger will drive the meat through, producing ground meat which you know what that looks like.

Here is the front of a corona style grain MILL..

into_bucket.jpg

Under that cover, rather than a die with holes to press meat through, there is actually a grinding plate.

PC040018.jpg

It matches grooves cut in the front mouth of the mill body....together those are what crushes the grain.....

Now that doesn't mean someone with great DIY skills couldn't perhaps modify a meat grinder by somehow putting a grinding plate on in place of the die.....the auger is exactly the same.

In fact I found at a garage sale for 5 bucks a "combo mill" which looks to be able to grind meat and grain somewhat....

1e40_1.JPG

That has this strange spider leg doohicky in front of the meet die, that sort of blocks partially stuff coming through the die, and in effect the auger and die will shred the grain...but not too well....

I haven't tried with a full batch, all I did was take a few ounces of grain, ran it through the mill, then mashed it in a mason jar to see if I got conversion....iirc, it wasn't that great...I was going to experiment some more, but I got a real corona shortly after...

I betcha don't realize that Charlie Papazian has been using the same Corona Mill he started doing allgrain with and HE gets 87% efficiency...SO anyone who thinks the corona can't do the job, can go suck an egg. If it's good enough for Papa Charlie, it's good enough for me....

ANd several others on here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Sorry Rev, I think I hit a nerve. What I was trying to say is that the Corona style mills are not really a "quality" piece of equipment by virtue of the low standard of manufacturing of these inexpensive units.

Is a Corona style of mill capable of providing a "quality" crush, ABSOLUTELY, IMO!

We might inquire how "good" a piece of equipment needs to be to crush grain.....after all, you can do it by smacking the grain between two bricks.

As far as the unit indicated in the OP, by all means go to "Discount Tommy" on eBay as indicated in a subsequent post. He's up & down, but I bought mine for $16 plus $8 delivery last week. The thing is iron, so I think that delivery charge is quite reasonable. And as far as I can tell from pictures, the number '500' stamped into the side and the appearance throughout (except that the one I got has a taller hopper, hold maybe a quart) mine is identical to the one in the OP. I think these come from the same place, only the pricing is different...so look around.

I'll pay $24 to go this route, no question. Worth it just for the fun of experimenting around. But if it were, say, $50? Nope. If I had to pay that much, I'd just spring for the Barley Crusher. Do I think I'm going to have any real trouble? No. Anyone with minimal "garage tinkerer" skills (and "minimal" describes me to a "T") can get this thing cranking out a good crush, I think.

Good question, I'm not sure if the "authentic" Corona or Porkert mills are higher quality, or are still even being manufactured. Most of what is currently available i would guess is made in China. The manufacturing is crude, but is usually tolerable. As far as durability, these things are cast iron and are almost indestructible.
Yes, the original Corona is still being manufactured. The one I just purchased is manufactured in Landers, WY which is a town many cast and forged products still are manufactured in. Mine has the date 01-2010 cast into it.

Sorry for the old thread bump but my info is relevant and I found this thread looking for information on properly adjusting the Corona mill.

Back