Maerzen yeast starter smells sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starters often go sour unless you add a hop pellet or two to the wort. That's one of the roles that hops play, as a preservative.

You can decant off the majority of the beer on top and still pitch the yeast, the yeast is fine..it's just the beer on top...or if you plan on pitching in the next couple days, I would make a fresh wort and pour your yeast into that....

Really? I've heard both Charlie Papazian and JZ weigh in on opposite sides of the "hop your starter issue". Neither sited primary literature and my impression was that Charlie (hop it) is right for kitchen sanitation, JZ (wins again) is right for laboratory technique, and neither is really duplicating what large lager brewers do commercially. Just my flawed perception?

Really? I've heard both Charlie Papazian and JZ weigh in on opposite sides of the "hop your starter issue". Neither sited primary literature and my impression was that Charlie (hop it) is right for kitchen sanitation, JZ (wins again) is right for laboratory technique, and neither is really duplicating what large lager brewers do commercially. Just my flawed perception?

Well I don't really care what JX or charlies says...a lot of times people like to spout with no practicall experience in the matter, even the big guns....And I have had starters go sour after a few days....Especially in the summer.

And we KNOW that hops are a preservative to keep beer from souring (ever heard of an IPA?)....so it doesn't need to be a big argument or a logic leap to go reach the conclusion that adding a hop pellet will give you a longer window before it goes sour....

You don't really need to worry if you are going to brew in 24 hours or so....but like the op, if you start a few days earlier, you might want to consider a little insurance. Like if you are bottle harvesting yeast and trying do grow a huge volume over a few days.

These Basic Brewing Videos confirm it from PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE...

May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment
We get unexpected results when we compare unhopped beers made with three different base malts.
Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment

May 27, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II
Our Base Malt Experiment continues as we compare beer with and wtihout hops.
Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - May 28, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II

August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III
It's the final installment of the Base Malt Experiment as we use liquid yeast to ferment beers made with and without hops.
Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III

Back