IPA are lacking "bite"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizzle

Reaction score
First want to say thanks in advance for the help.

My IPA's are missing that "bite" that you expect from a really hoppy beer. I've posted the recipe below. Not sure if I'm not getting real good hop utilization or maybe more bittering hops needed.

60 mins 0.75 Willamette pellet
60 mins 0.75 Cascade pellet
15 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet
15 mins 0.25 Willamette pellet
5 mins 0.25 Willamette pellet
5 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet

.5 oz Willamette and Cascade dry hop.

1.061 SG and 1.009 FG Fermentables were mostly 2 row with a little 80L

Oh and I do 2.5 gallon batches.

Thanks!

Yeah, your 60 minute additions are more often used as flavor/aroma additions for IPAs. You either need to really bump up your cascade amount (it's IBU's are usually <7), or look for another bittering hop.

Something like, 0.75-1 oz of either Chinook, Columbus, Warrior, Centennial, etc. would compliment your cascade/willamette combo.

EDIT: just read you're doing 2.5 gallon batches....(so adjusted the hop oz.)

I agree. I use warrior and even simcoe adds a nice bitter backbone. Whats the grain bill? Not too many specialty malts are there? You can add some rye too for a nice spicy note.

i'd try adding some gypsum to the water (I'm assuming it's low in sulfates like mine is), that helped my hoppy beers out a lot.

isn't .5oz pretty small for 15min and 5min additions?

I agree. Try moving those 60min additions down to your 15 and 5 so you have (at least) 1.25oz at each addition. Then add a bittering hop like Warrior, Chinook, or CTZ. It can add up in price, but you just won't make an IPA with that hoppiness you're looking for without adding more hops.

I like the use of Willamette in an IPA though! I did that for an IPA once and it was one of the best beers I've made.

Great help, thanks for all of the replies. I will try these suggestions. Anyone care to share their hop schedule for a great IPA? Also, would I use the 5.2 stabilizer with the gypsum?

I should correct myself. I did not see you were doing 2.5 gallon batches.

Still, you may want to try upping the late additions and using a higher AA bittering hop. Like others said. I really should read that especially since I'm not the first to make that mistake in this thread!

Back