Couldnt help myself - I cracked my FIRST brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
AND IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! I left it alone in the primary for about 3-3.5 weeks then bottled it. The beer has been in the bottle for close to a week (and I couldnt help myself - I had to try one) I got the nice 'hiss' when I popped the bottlecap, and I purposely didnt tilt my glass to see what kind of head and carbonation I would get from the initial pour. What I got was about 1" of amber/brown liquid in the bottom of my glass, and about 3-4" of a creamy white head.

It is a bit undercarbed, warmish, and yes it has that 'green' beer taste, but damn this is a good ass beer! I cant wait to try my next batch in the primary as this was a bull foil. Here are some pics of my VERY FIRST BREW!!!!
Awesome! Thanks to everyone here to helped me through this process and gave me pointers along the way!

Here are some pics (Im so proud!) :)
-Me

CIMG0028.JPG

Oh man i love that feeling, it never goes away either, at least for me it doesn't. I get giddy every time i crack open a new brew of mine.

Congrats...looks nice! And if you think it tastes nice..give it a month, you won't believe it! It's going to be so much better you won't even think it's the same batch.

Congrats. I just popped the top on my recent IIPA turned IPA brew and it's awesome. Much better than my first IPA by far. Still a little green, but it's going to awesome in a few weeks. Congrats again and I hope the feeling sticks with you for all your brews. :mug:

Damn it!! Its now taking me everything to leave the rest alone and not drink them!! I need to get more than one batch going at a time so I can have more than one brew to 'sample' (over and over) Hehehehe... I think that kegging is going to be next.
Something about bulk aging, and 'Beer on Demand' that makes me smile.
And since the war dept has such an issue with me smoking weed, maybe she will be cool with me becoming a lush.
Buahahahaha!!

Okay, like I stated before - its not about having lots of beer. Its about having lots of QUALITY beer.
And if I dont give these things time to condition properly, Im not going to have lots of quality beer. (Just lots of green beer in my bellah!) GIT IN MAH BELLAH!
-Me

Oh, you think you are impatient waiting for those bottles, just imagine how quickly you can drink your brew when you KNOW it's there on draft! Something special about draft beer at home... I highly reccomend it!
dsc01246yr4.th.jpg

Congrats!

I can't wait until my pipeline is 100%...so far I have one in bottles and 2 in secondary and I did a DFH 60 Clone tonight so it is in Primary.

Yeah man, my pipeline is working on becoming complete as well. I have an empty primary (shudder) and I am trying to decide what I am going to brew next to fill it.

I initially LOLed when I saw your avatar as I thought it was Peter North holding up a mug of tasty brew.
-Me

Congrats on the brew!!! I'm still patiently waiting for my brown ale to clear in secondary. Its been there since December 14 (2 weeks tomorrow) and I have a batch of "Continental Pilsner" fermenting in primary (been bubbling for about 60 hours now).

I'm planning on leaving the brown ale in secondary for 1 more week, then bottle. That will give the Continental Pilsner a good 10+ days in primary before I rack over to secondary.

Congrats again on you brew. :rockin:

Congrats on your 1st!

Keep brewing and build yourself up a pipeline of beer. My brother came by a couple of weeks ago and looked in my "beer room" and said: "Man, you need to get started drinking some of this stuff." :D

Damn it!! Its now taking me everything to leave the rest alone and not drink them!! I need to get more than one batch going at a time so I can have more than one brew to 'sample' (over and over)
-Me

And that is why homebrewing is the second form of alcohol addiction. Once you start, you can't stop. Congratulations.

I've been homebrewin' for about two years, I try to keep my pipeline full, but I still get anxious when a beer is about done. One thing I do that helps, is to go to the liquor store and buy some new beers I've never had before. That way I can keep my mind off the unfinished beer and simultaneously get ideas for my next brew.

Enjoy your new addiction.

I opened my first one last night (24 oz). I hate to admit to bottling 3 at 1 week in primary but I wanted to have something to compare to. Still have about 5 gallons sitting in the primary which I will probably bottle tonight.
It was GOOD. No. It was DAMN GOOD. Yes, it was under-carbed (but still made a 1" head on a tipped pint glass) and it could be a lot better BUT I am very satisfied with the progress so far. :D It was all I could do to not bust out the others.
I have a couple I am going to bring with me to our monthly poker tournament tomorrow night (which is the main reason I bottled a few early). I have a couple of good friends who are going to get a 'taste' of what is to come.
My 'plan' is to bottle tonight (should get ~26 24oz btls) so I can clean the fermenter and do a sanitize-soak tonight and start the AHS Blue Moon clone tomorrow in Fermenter 1. Yes, quite exciting! :)

And believe the hype... Thats all I can say.

I cracked a couple last night (2 days away from the '3 week rule') and I can tell a big difference from the ones I cracked a couple of weeks ago. It mellowed quite nicely but it still does have that 'extract twang' that you hear people speak of.
Its still really neat to witness for yourself things that you have only read about up until that point.

Next stop - AG brewing (now that it has finally 'clicked') and the application of it all makes sense now. :)
Speaking of which... I think I have finally found the justification for actually getting my Beersmith out of its 'limited' functions. Better do that before I begin my first AG batch. Good thing I still have a couple of mini-mash kits on their way.
-Me

Back