Anyone Know How to make Munton's Nut Brown Canned Extract from Scratch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
Anyone out there have any idea how to make something that will taste the same using Amber or Dark LME and any variety of Grains? $15.50 a 4 LB can is a little steep when I can buy LME for $1.33 and grain for under a buck a pound.

Jeff

Primary - Nut Brown Ale #2
Primary - Smithwicks Clone
Secondary - Nut Brown Ale #1
On Tap - Rosie's Are Red Ale
Big Bob's Bust a Nut Brown Ale
Bottled - Awesome Amber Ale

Up Next - Whitewater Cherry Wheat
Airframers Nut Brown Ale

Are you just trying to make a nut brown ale that tastes like what the Munton's gives you? You can certainly steep some grains and use DME (or LME) and get a great nut brown ale without actually making extract (which requires some serious industrial equipment).

I found this:

Usquepaugh Mild Brown Ale
Category Brown Ale
Recipe Type All Grain

Fermentables
4 lb. English 2-row pale malt
1 lb. Crystal malt
.75 lb. cracked wheat berries

Hops
1 oz. Cascade hops (start of boil)
.5 oz. Kent Golding hops (near end of boil)

1.4 tsp. Irish moss
Yeast Edme ale yeast

Procedure I had some cracked whole wheat of the sort that can be cooked as a hot cereal. I pan roasted it in a dry iron skillet for about 30 minutes, turning it frequently, until it was fairly dark (some was burned actually). This was cooked in about a quart of water for about 3/4 hour, and added to the main mash at about 50 C at the start of the protein rest.

All water used had 1/2 tsp. Burton salts added per gallon. The boil was about 50 minutes, and there was quite a lot of hot break.

This recipe yielded about 3 gallons of wort at OG=1.050. I pitched one packet of Edme ale yeast direct (no starter). FG was 1.018.

I'm looking for the same flavor that I get with the Muntons. My wife absolutely loved the first batch of Nut Brown I made and I figured, hey, why mess with a good thing. If momma's happy, everybody's happy right? The Nut Brown kit from my HBS is like $32 including a can of this extract. I have put togther a little store of yeasts, grains, hops and bulk LME in all varities so I can just throw something together if I see a recipie I like. I figure if I can reduce the cost of that extract by using dark LME and steeping some additional grains, I'm a happy guy :ban: 'cause I can make that same brew for more like $15.

Jeff

Airframers Nut Brown Ale

Good plan. I'm not familiar with that particular kit, but if I were you I'd just find a good nut brown ale recipe (byo.com might be a good place to look), brew it, and see where you stand. Make modifications if necessary, or if momma's happy with it you're good to go.

I'm not ready for an AG adventure yet. I am slowly stockpiling equipment to get into the hobby but am trying not to rouse too much attention from the wife. Damn those credit card statements anyway! Anyone who knows brewing knows how quickly you can wrap up hundreds if not thousands of dollars if you really put your mind to it. I don't want to get her too scared yet so I am staying away from the AG recipies for now. Once she has accepted the fact that this is not a passing fancy, she will not scream too loud when I buy an AG system. For now, I am trying to put together brews that she likes. There is a method to my madness. Once I get her hooked, the rest is easy. Sam Adams for $28 + per case or my own for $15 for 2 cases. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Airframers Nut Brown Ale

Yeah, don't worry about it. You can make a huge variety of beer using grains and steeped extracts until the bug bites you and you feel like trying AG (if it ever does). My point was probably based more on your title than what you actually wrote. Making extract does require pretty serious equipment...after making wort via the AG method of your choice you need to evaporate all of the liquid under a partial vacuum, so making extract probably isn't the path you're looking for, but I believe steeping grains for flavor and using extract will get you well beyond what you're making with the tin of extract, and you'll be able to zero in on something your wife likes.

The is just something about the flavor of that particular extract that I really like. I don't know enough yet to be able to just taste something and just say "Uh Huh........... Tastes like a pound of Special B, 8 ounces of British Chocolate and some Biscuit for good measure." The LME I have is Munton brand so getting the correct grains to steep would just be a matter of having a connisseur (sp?) of beers take a sip and let me know what was in there right?

Primary #1 -
Primary #2 -
Secondary #1- Nut Brown Ale #1
Secondary #2- Nut Brown Ale #2
Secondary #3- Smithwick's Clone

Airframers Nut Brown Ale

Back