3056 Bavarian Wheat starter taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yemu

Reaction score
Hi all,
I made a starter using Wyeast 3056 yeast, I tasted it yesterday and it's a little sour. I've read on the Wyeast page that tartness and sourness is a part of these yeast profile. I also know that german hefe weizen beers are a little sour, but I'm not sure if the starter is not contaminated. I think it's ok, the sourness is more citrusy and less vinegar, and it smells nice (no sour, no vinegar smell)

Anyone ever tasted 3056 starter and can confirm that a little sourness is normal?

Thanks in advance
Y

Hi all,
I made a starter using Wyeast 3056 yeast, I tasted it yesterday and it's a little sour. I've read on the Wyeast page that tartness and sourness is a part of these yeast profile. I also know that german hefe weizen beers are a little sour, but I'm not sure if the starter is not contaminated. I think it's ok, the sourness is more citrusy and less vinegar, and it smells nice (no sour, no vinegar smell)

Anyone ever tasted 3056 starter and can confirm that a little sourness is normal?

Thanks in advance
Y

If you didn't add hops to the starter, some sourness is pretty normal. See a recent episode of Basic Brewing Video where they made a bunch of beers with base malts only - most of them were sour.

Latest posts

Back