Stories about Goats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin4

Reaction score
So I added Goat smilie. Seems to be a lot of other goat enthusiast here.

:goat:

Lets use this thread to tell our best goat stories.

When I was a kid my family packed their bags and left the big city. We moved out in the middle of nowhere to get back to our roots (Anglo Saxon...not sure what they meant by that), and part of those roots included live stock.

One of the aforementioned livestock was an African Pygmy Goat names Buffy.

We got Buffy when she was about a year old. She was house broken, so at first we had a goat roaming around the house, but as she aged she had to go out.

Turns out goats will eat things they're not supposed to and butt into things. Who'd a thunk it?

So one summer I'm out feeding the chickens. Buffy's pin is close to the chicken pin but she's no where to be found. The garage is a couple of hundred yards from the barn, and I had been out their earlier listening to Howard Stern and smoking cigarettes. I was not a good kid.

So I'm feeding the chickens when I hear "Baaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" and then silence. I go running up to the house as fast as I can. As a fat kid it's not that fast, but it is super sweaty making me aerodynamic.

I get into the garage and Buffy is rising from the ground,licking her lips and blinking a stupid amount. I then realize what happened.

She chewed through the radio cord and electrocuted herself pretty bad. Being a goat she was not to be dissuaded, so she started a fight and I took her to the ground (Goats do that.).

So what are your good goat stories? I fear this is going to be an extremely busy thread, so lets limit out submissions to one a day so everyone can keep up.

Go!

So I added Goat smilie. Seems to be a lot of other goat enthusiast here.

Lets use this thread to tell our best goat stories.

When I was a kid my family packed their bags and left the big city. We moved out in the middle of nowhere to get back to our roots (Anglo Saxon...not sure what they meant by that), and part of those roots included live stock.

One of the aforementioned livestock was an African Pygmy Goat names Buffy.

We got Buffy when she was about a year old. She was house broken, so at first we had a goat roaming around the house, but as she aged she had to go out.

Turns out goats will eat things they're not supposed to and butt into things. Who'd a thunk it?

So one summer I'm out feeding the chickens. Buffy's pin is close to the chicken pin but she's no where to be found. The garage is a couple of hundred yards from the barn, and I had been out their earlier listening to Howard Stern and smoking cigarettes. I was not a good kid.

So I'm feeding the chickens when I hear "Baaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" and then silence. I go running up to the house as fast as I can. As a fat kid it's not that fast, but it is super sweaty making me aerodynamic.

I get into the garage and Buffy is rising from the ground,licking her lips and blinking a stupid amount. I then realize what happened.

She chewed through the radio cord and electrocuted herself pretty bad. Being a goat she was not to be dissuaded, so she started a fight and I took her to the ground (Goats do that.).

So what are your good goat stories? I fear this is going to be an extremely busy thread, so lets limit out submissions to one a day so everyone can keep up.

Go!

Ah...who won?

I asked for a ferret when I was a kid; my parents got me a goat. Each day I had to go out and bottle feed it, which was fine I guess. Then one day they put a rubber band around his.. uh.. {censor}nugget hops{censor} and the poor guy made the most terrifying noise I've ever heard. A couple days later one of our dogs was found running around with Billy's {censor}nugget hops{censor} hanging out of its mouth.

Every day since, Billy was a veritable monster. He would head butt our dogs, chase my little brother and he even ate a corner of our barn. He ate about 3 sq. ft. of 100 year old barn wood. I didn't care, he was still my first pet so he was the awesomest.

Fast forward a year, we had some weird man visit our farm. My grandmother met him at some Polish club in the city. A few days later as I was laying in bed one night, I heard a bunch of noise outside and ran out to find a trailer hauling away Billy. He was to be the main course at some celebration.

I didn't even get to say goodbye.

smiley-angry020.gif

Operating a small dairy goat operation, I have stories from almost every day...

Right now I have a doe who can open up the complex latch of the gate if it is not clipped shut. She then gently pushes the door open, backs up, and lets the younger milkers run out through the gate, knowing full well that they will be the ones yelled at...

The Kids Are All Right

Doña Viola Barrios includes cabrito on the menu of Los Barrios, her home style Mexican restaurant in San Antonio. Over a steaming platter of cabrito, Barrios explains that it was cooked al vapor (in a kettle on the stove, pot-roast fashion) and flavored with garlic, onions, oregano, comino (cumin), salt, and pepper. Wrapping the cooked meat loosely in foil and placing it on the grill immediately before serving add the final touches. A mild red-chile sauce (see recipe), rice, and corn tortillas are perfect side dishes for this simple meal.

Los Barrios cabrito dish above was fabulous. The replacement "Cabrito en Salsa" is merely very good.

I'm about to go to the local farmer's market tomorrow, maybe I'll get pictures of me petting the goats!

I asked for a ferret when I was a kid; my parents got me a goat. Each day I had to go out and bottle feed it, which was fine I guess. Then one day they put a rubber band around his.. uh.. {censor}nugget hops{censor} and the poor guy made the most terrifying noise I've ever heard. A couple days later one of our dogs was found running around with Billy's {censor}nugget hops{censor} hanging out of its mouth.

Every day since, Billy was a veritable monster. He would head butt our dogs, chase my little brother and he even ate a corner of our barn. He ate about 3 sq. ft. of 100 year old barn wood. I didn't care, he was still my first pet so he was the awesomest.

Fast forward a year, we had some weird man visit our farm. My grandmother met him at some Polish club in the city. A few days later as I was laying in bed one night, I heard a bunch of noise outside and ran out to find a trailer hauling away Billy. He was to be the main course at some celebration.

I didn't even get to say goodbye.

smiley-angry020.gif

That's a terrible story...poor goat.

When I was a kid, we used to raise dairy goats. They were some of the best pets.... very friendly. The only problems were the bucks who wanted to... ahem... pee on their beards for some reason. :) But even they were pretty friendly. Never met a mean goat. We used to have a pygmy goat. He was a character. His favorite snack was Ritz crackers with peanut butter. Go figure. :)

That's a terrible story...poor goat.

When I was growing up, we had dairy goats, and of course, to keep the milk flowing, you have to have baby goats. We lived in California most of the time we had goats, and whenever we had billys, we'd sell them to the local Latinos for their dinners and sell the females to other goat farmers. :)

Our very own goat thread and @Hunter_la5 is no where to be found?

Our city just allowed goat keeping. We have two Nigerian dwarves on their way, and some goats.

My stepdad got paid for a painting job with a goat once. Brought him home, tied him up in the front yard, which also contained the '67 Mustang convertible he had been restoring since like '68. The rope was just long enough to allow the got access to the hood and about 18 inches of the top. The top was literally the only thing on the car that had been finished at this point. The goat ate the first 2 feet of it.

I'm not certain what happened to the goat. We never spoke of it again, and my Mom divorced him shortly after. My step dad, not the goat.

I'm from Scotland, and growing up there I was a keen fisherman (fisherboy?). My friend and I came across a pond on some local farmland, surrounded by a barbed wire fence. It turns out that the farmer (or someone) had stocked the with brown trout. At there was a narrow banking perimeter between the pond and the fence, about wide enough for one person to walk around at a time. At one end of the pond, there was a larger patch of land which had what looked like an oversized dog kennel on it. This was in fact the residence of Rosie, the resident :goat: and guardian of the pond.

My friend and I would cycle over to that pond early in the morning just as the sun was coming up, to sneak in some fishing before Rosie the :goat: woke up. This particular morning, I was raring to go, and climbed the fence with haste to try to bag myself some decent fish. I was in the process of crouching on the ground tying on my lure when I looked behind me and noticed my friend Sean hadn't yet climbed the fence, and was just standing there giggling. He didn't answer when I asked what was funny, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something moving slowly, but picking up pace as it went. I turned my head to see what it was, and by the point, Rosie the :goat: was full gallop change straight towards me, head lowered.

I frantically dumped my fishing gear and started scrambling over the fence. Just as I got both legs over and jumped to safety, Rosie the :goat: swung upwards with her head and tiny nubs of horns and missed my a$$ by inches. I landed and dramatically rolled to safety while my friend Sean was rolling around in the grass laughing with tears in his eyes.

With friends like those, eh?

He'll be back. He mentioned something about walking his goat over to cliffside for some serenity.

Wonder what that could mean.

Okay ya'll. We got to have us here some rules so we don't degennerate like some of those other threads ya know. And there is only one rule that will do that...Ya gotta use the goaticon whenever ya post here ya know.

I fear this is going to be an extremely busy thread, so lets limit out submissions to one a day so everyone can keep up.

Okay ya'll. We got to have us here some rules so we don't degennerate like some of those other threads ya know.

There was one rule and you're already at 3 posts today!

BOO THIS MAN!

Now you made me break the rule :mad:

My stepdad got paid for a painting job with a goat once. Brought him home, tied him up in the front yard, which also contained the '67 Mustang convertible he had been restoring since like '68. The rope was just long enough to allow the got access to the hood and about 18 inches of the top. The top was literally the only thing on the car that had been finished at this point. The goat ate the first 2 feet of it.

I'm not certain what happened to the goat. We never spoke of it again, and my Mom divorced him shortly after. My step dad, not the goat.

I think I know what happened to the :goat:. Adam Sandler did a skit about him.

!!!WARNING!!!
NSFW Language and Adult humor!
!!!WARNING!!!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IhNuUjK6CI[/ame]

Some of the best stories are not of the goats but of the people at the fairs we exhibit.

I was just starting to milk out one of my more productive milkers and a group of teens came up to the milk stand. One nudged the other and, pointing, exclaimed "look at the balls on that one!" Ah, the educational system these days...

Someone commented about goat pics?

spray1.jpg

Some of the best stories are not of the goats but of the people at the fairs we exhibit.

I was just starting to milk out one of my more productive milkers and a group of teens came up to the milk stand. One nudged the other and, pointing, exclaimed "look at the balls on that one!" Ah, the educational system these days...

Someone commented about goat pics?

Wait?! The goat you were milking had balls?:confused:

Several years ago we went to a nephew's birthday party, had it outside on a nice Sunday afternoon. After opening the gifts we were sitting at the picnic table eating cake and ice cream and noticed a herd of probably 8 goats trotting across the road headed toward us. Next thing we knew they'd crashed the party and were trying to get at anything from the ice cream to the wrapping paper still scattered.
Us guys thought it was hilarious and still laugh about it, but my sister in-law was devastated that her son's party was ruined by a bunch of stinkin' goats....

Years ago I did some volunteer work at a local animal sanctuary, for a brief period of time. Mostly manual labor like shovelling ****, hanging nets, putting up fencing, distributing food/water, changing bedding/mulch, etc.

They rescued wild animals that had been injured, pets abandoned by their owners, and livestock whose owners could no longer afford to care for them. They had everything from bald eagles, hedgehogs, vultures, dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, owls, deer... if it was some sort of animal that would quickly die on its own in the wild, these people would take it in.

Most of the animals lived either in large cages or segregated in pens. The one animal that was allowed to roam the property freely was a :goat: . It was a pretty smart creature, and knew better than to run away from its food source, or to mess with the other animals. It was very friendly, and would give you a gentle headbutt whenever it wanted attention from you. It loved getting head-scratches.

One day I was busy shovelling **** or whatever, and the :goat: came up and gave me a headbutt. I turned around, pet him briefly, and went back to work. He wanted more, so he headbutted me again.

Not wanting to be distracted from all the work I had to do, I ignored him. He headbutted me again. I ignored him again. He headbutted me again, a little harder this time.

I used ignore. It was not effective.

Headbutt again, even harder this time. Annoyed, I turned around, and gently but firmly pushed him away by the horns. Bad idea. He thought I was trying to play with him. Keep in mind this :goat: probably weighed as much as I did, if not more.

He came at me hard this time, but I was ready for it. Headbutt. Push. Headbutt. Push. The forces applied were increasing with each exchange, the :goat: and I locked in a battle of wills.
Before long, we were both on the ground, wrestling for dominance in the mud and the ****.

And that was when they asked me to leave the animal sanctuary.

Years ago I did some volunteer work at a local animal sanctuary, for a brief period of time. Mostly manual labor like shovelling ****, hanging nets, putting up fencing, distributing food/water, changing bedding/mulch, etc.

They rescued wild animals that had been injured, pets abandoned by their owners, and livestock whose owners could no longer afford to care for them. They had everything from bald eagles, hedgehogs, vultures, dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, owls, deer... if it was some sort of animal that would quickly die on its own in the wild, these people would take it in.

Most of the animals lived either in large cages or segregated in pens. The one animal that was allowed to roam the property freely was a :goat: . It was a pretty smart creature, and knew better than to run away from its food source, or to mess with the other animals. It was very friendly, and would give you a gentle headbutt whenever it wanted attention from you. It loved getting head-scratches.

One day I was busy shovelling **** or whatever, and the :goat: came up and gave me a headbutt. I turned around, pet him briefly, and went back to work. He wanted more, so he headbutted me again.

Not wanting to be distracted from all the work I had to do, I ignored him. He headbutted me again. I ignored him again. He headbutted me again, a little harder this time.

I used ignore. It was not effective.

Headbutt again, even harder this time. Annoyed, I turned around, and gently but firmly pushed him away by the horns. Bad idea. He thought I was trying to play with him. Keep in mind this :goat: probably weighed as much as I did, if not more.

He came at me hard this time, but I was ready for it. Headbutt. Push. Headbutt. Push. The forces applied were increasing with each exchange, the :goat: and I locked in a battle of wills.
Before long, we were both on the ground, wrestling for dominance in the mud and the ****.
And that was when they asked me to leave the animal sanctuary.

Ah...who won?

Last edited:
How does everyone feel about sheep (aka the nicer fluffier goat)? I have a feeling I know @yeastylad's answer (being from Scotland and all), but I feel as though sheep need some representation.

And because required for every post :goat:

I fear this is going to be an extremely busy thread, so lets limit out submissions to one a day so everyone can keep up.

Missed that rule...oops, I'll keep quiet now.

How does everyone feel about sheep (aka the nicer fluffier goat)? I have a feeling I know @yeastylad's answer (being from Scotland and all), but I feel as though sheep need some representation.

And because required for every post :goat:

Missed that rule...oops, I'll keep quiet now.

I think sheep are lady goats.

I feel indifferent.

I just bought an old house on 10 acres of land. There is a barn, an old lean-to, and a fenced in area that used to house horses. It has crossed my mind to get a goat or two and maybe a few chickens.

What are the pros and cons on getting some goats? :goat:

Pros:
1) Never mow your lawn again
2) Real life goaticon
3) Wrestling buddy

Cons:
1) Absolutely none, and don't you dare say otherwise.

While I do love goats. I will NOT keep a single inner city goat. Most are a maintenance nuisance worse than a dog. Even on a farm they can be a hassle. Damned thing are worse than a ferret when trying to keep them out of something and worse than a small breed dog when trying to keep them penned in.

Latest posts

Back