DFH PM hop schedule IBU=75

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
One more PM and then AG. Meantime I'm using Beersmith to figure the recipe. LHBS suggested that I only do a 60 min boil. I'll steep 3.41 lbs grain in 4.5 quarts water for 45 minutes and sparge in strainer over pot with another 4.5 quarts then add 8 lbs DME and top up to 7 Gal for boil. If I add .5 oz Warrior, .5 oz Simcoe and 2 oz Amarillo slowly and evenly the Target IBU isn't working. I figured .25 oz of each at start of boil, .25 oz of each at 55 minutes left in boil and then .25 oz of Amarillo at 5 minute intervals for the remaining 6 additions. I've been trying to manipulate the hop additions and 75 IBU is the closest I get. I'm looking to get 5.5 Gal in the Primary

I did it different- I did the warrior only for the first 25 minutes. About half the pellets right away and the rest over the next 25 minutes or so. Then I added the other hops (mixed together) from 35 minutes to the end of the boil.

Here's mine (transcribed in PM, I hope!): View attachment dfh60.bsm

This gave me an IBU of 64 or so, which seemed about right to me.

Gnome said:
PS. Seen " Escanaba in the moon light", Movie. First got the HB bug in Chesaning as a youngin.

Well, I've never seen Escanaba in Da Moonlight, but heard it was a typical portrayal of us Yoopers!

I think the difference between your recipe and mine (and the IBUS) is the addition of simcoe at 55. I don't have that addition at all.

I guess the top off after the fact and the full boil would be a dif. I kept changeing the hop additions around and the IBU's kept changeing. The water and boil time changed the ABV. I brew tomorrow, see if I get close to the estimates.

Gnome said:
I guess the top off after the fact and the full boil would be a dif. I kept changeing the hop additions around and the IBU's kept changeing. The water and boil time changed the ABV. I brew tomorrow, see if I get close to the estimates.

Well, I converted it from my AG recipe. But, the difference would be adding the bittering hops at 55 mins. I don't have that addition, and that would account for the difference.

You may also want to see what happens doing a First Wort hop addition, adds a lot of hop complexity to your brew.

Also, where in Ga are you?

I'm in Stockbridge, just south of Atlanta. So just got done with Brew Day. Hops ended up .25 oz of each at start of boil, .25 oz of each 5 min later, then .25 oz 5 to 7 min apart for remainder. OG came out a little lower than planed 1.071 OG. Had a time trying to use an electric stove for the Steep( gas at old house). Steep went to 158 f. up and downed the grain bag and temp control till stabilized in 10 min at 150 f. held that for 40 min more. Then Sparged with 168 f over bag in strainer. Not as high as expected, but should be all right. Tasted a little bitter than the craft house, hope the ferment and dry hop bring it closer

It will be fine, I too am in Stockbridge, You should come over some time and I will introduce you to All Grain.....

Back