Lactobacillus question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrolight

Reaction score
We know high hop content or high abv content will thwart Lactobacillus. But I was wondering do either of those kill off the Lacto? Or does it go dormant like yeast usually does?

Also, I know the abv cut off is about 8%. Anyone know the IBU cutoff?

Thanks.

We know high hop content or high abv content will thwart Lactobacillus. But I was wondering do either of those kill off the Lacto? Or does it go dormant like yeast usually does?

Also, I know the abv cut off is about 8%. Anyone know the IBU cutoff?

Thanks.

I know that hops will only keep it from reproducing - the oils and resins coat the cells.

As far as the alcohol goes, I would take an educated guess and say that that would kill it. Alcohol is known to kill bacteria in other settings (alcohol based hand sanitizer, for example). I'm not sure what the percentage has to be, but it would most likely be dependent on the strain of lacto.

pH level is another consideration - another educated guess, but since things like Starsan are acid based sanitizers (albeit with other ingredients) I'd say that low pH will also kill it. I'm sure some strains are more tolerant than others with this too, but I think a pH of something like 3.0 will take care of them.

As always, if someone knows differently, please correct me.

Back