Making a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my first yeast washing and think that I understand that pretty well. My question is how do I make a yeast starter? I have looked at other forums but have not found a clear answer. This is White Labs yeast. How much DME do I add and how long does the starter have to go until it is ready to be pitched into a batch of beer? Also, How much do I use for a 5-6 gallon batch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The easiest formula I have seen and follow is 1 gram of DME to every 10ml of starter. I would make at least a 2000 ml starter, they just work better. Make sure to aerate the wort before adding the yeast and shake it every so often if you do not have a stir plate. There is no need for an airlock, just use sanitized foil so the yeast can uptake O2 throughout their grawth cycle.

How about 1 cup DME and 2 cups water boiled 10 minutes. Shake to aerate. I think you can pitch pretty much anytime but it seems most on here prefer to pitch at high krausen but none of my starters ever really do this. I think the yeast in the activator packs just overwhelms this DME in a short amount of time.

BTW I just pitched a Wyeast British Ale starter just like above about three hours ago and it is bubbling away. I plan on brewing tommorow and will just swirl it around and pitch.

Good luck
Al

RotorHead6 said:
I am getting ready to do my first yeast washing and think that I understand that pretty well. My question is how do I make a yeast starter? I have looked at other forums but have not found a clear answer. This is White Labs yeast. How much DME do I add and how long does the starter have to go until it is ready to be pitched into a batch of beer? Also, How much do I use for a 5-6 gallon batch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

As my old Granddaddy used to say "you can hear anything 'cept bacon fryin" Go to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Starter#Yeast_Starter_Procedure
for help...:)

Back