priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LimerickBrewCo

Reaction score
I brewed a Black IPA and will be bottling it soon. It was from a recipe that a guy at the LHBS put together and I thought I'd use the TastyBrew.com calculator to dial in how much priming sugar to use. This is what it gave me:

znahdj.jpg

That seems very low, 2.5 oz of corn sugar? Most kits tell you to use the whole 5 oz package for a 5 gallon batch. I don't want to over-carbonate but I don't want it to be under carbonated either. Did a do something wrong using the calculator?

I've had the same problem and found myself bumping up the temp or playing with the volume. Then realized I kind of knew the number I wanted. I made a great Marzen less than great to learn that, my first lager too. Still disappeared quickly though.

I've had the same problem with priming calculators. I've even had one tell me to use 7.9 oz of corn sugar once. Needless to say I didn't do that. Now I just prime all of my 5 gallon batches with 4.5 oz of corn sugar, and I only use a calculator if I'm using some other type of priming fermentable like honey or something (which still makes me nervous, but I've been ok so far).....

Back