Alternative Grain Beer Ryeball (Rye Pale Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraftwerk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
48 Hours, Stir plate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Crisp, clean, strong hop presence
This one turned out utterly perfect & I think it's worth sharing. It was rushed to bottles and carbonation was heavy, so it took 7 weeks in the bottle to fully mature. At that point it was sparkling clear, effervescent, refreshing, and had a tasty hop presence but not over-the-top in that department.

3o4Uc.jpg

Mashed at 150ºF for 1 hour. Pitched at 62ºF, let rise to 67ºF. 7 days in primary, then transferred to secondary & dry hopped for 3 days, then bottled with 4.5 oz dextrose.

Grain Bill
7.5 lb 2-row
2 lb Rye malt
0.85 lb Caramel 20L
0.35 lb Carapils
0.35 lb White wheat Malt

Hops
.5 oz Columbus @ 45
.5 oz Casacde @ 25
1 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Columbus @ 1
.5 oz Cascade (dry hop)
1.5 oz Columbus (dry hop)

Others
1 Tsp. Gypsum (in boil)
1 Whrifloc tablet (in boil)

Water
Arrowhead Bottled Spring Water

Looks awesome. I have been looking around for a recipe with rye. Thanks for sharing.

Did you do s protein rest?

No protein rest. Mash was 60 minute single infusion. Serious chill haze early on, apparently went away after several weeks. Those last bottles had sat at room temp for 5 weeks and then in the fridge for 2 weeks. This is what it looked like early on (1 week in bottle, 1 day in fridge):

photo+%25284%2529.JPG

I like it brewing a slightly modified version of your recipe. Cheers. Thanks again.

That's funny. I have a rye IPA that looks like that last picture there - hazy as hell - AND I FILTERED IT!

Filtering was a *****. I only did one keg. Took about 2 hours and I had to turn the pressure up to the point were the filter was leaking beer.

If mine gets as clear as your first pics, I'll be a VERY happy camper. Guess I'll put it aside for a few weeks. Thanks for posting that great picture.

passedpawn said:
That's funny. I have a rye IPA that looks like that last picture there - hazy as hell - AND I FILTERED IT!

Filtering was a *****. I only did one keg. Took about 2 hours and I had to turn the pressure up to the point were the filter was leaking beer.

If mine gets as clear as your first pics, I'll be a VERY happy camper. Guess I'll put it aside for a few weeks. Thanks for posting that great picture.

Care to share the recipe?

Thanks for the comments on the picture, folks. Taken with iPhone 3Gs :eek: It was just one of those perfect moments, you know? At that moment we were starting a re-brew of the same recipe. This time we used Munich in place of C20 (LHBs was out of C20, and friend didn't know any better), and hops are 100% chinook. I'll post the results if it comes out half as good as the first round.

Turned out great! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely do this again.

image-3543592771.jpg

:rockin: Glad it worked out. Please let me know if it drops clear after a few weeks. Does it taste clean? Mine was a bit butterscotchy before it cleared up (but mine was bottled, did you keg this one?)

just kegged mine a week ago, had a taste my god this is certainly nothing like anything i have ever brewed before, on first taste quite sweet and very citrus orange tasting this one really needs to settle, those Columbus hops are awesome, first time i have used them.
they do smell like something else cant think what tho:D

Kraftwerk said:
:rockin: Glad it worked out. Please let me know if it drops clear after a few weeks. Does it taste clean? Mine was a bit butterscotchy before it cleared up (but mine was bottled, did you keg this one?)

Yeah I kegged it. Hazy til the end kicked the keg today.

This time we used Munich in place of C20 (LHBs was out of C20, and friend didn't know any better), and hops are 100% chinook. I'll post the results if it comes out half as good as the first round.

Well, that re-brew went really well. Waited an ample amount of time for the bottle conditioning to complete and clarify. I'd say the chinook-only version is a little one-dimensional and the recipe really needs the crystal. But damn is this drinkable. I've got my first kegged batch of this stuff carbing up right now. That one used Centennial and Amarillo hops and is much much hoppier than the bottled batches, probably because its not sitting at room temp for a month.

TxYgE.jpg

rye seems to like getting hazy. my 100% rye experiment was about as hazy as a milkshake for the first 3 weeks in the fermenter. eventually it all dropped out, like yours.

this is now on my "to-brew" list.

Submitted my third batch (3oz Amarillo/Centennial dry hop) to NHC First Rounds, SF region, cat. 10A. It scored 32. Seemed to get dinged mostly for excessive hoppiness. Fine by me! It was my first ever comp submission so I'm not sure if 32 is a good score or not, but the judges seemed to like it a lot although it was too hoppy for the style.

I don't suppose anyone has an extract version for this. It sounds awesome.

This is one I am brewing this weekend.
Rye Pale Ale
Bader Beer & Wine Supply & Bader Winery
Vancouver, Washington
www.baderbrewing.com
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.050* FG = 1.013
IBU = 58* SRM = 10* ABV = 4.9%
The dry, crisp flavor of rye malt and relatively high IBUs make this beer that quite refreshing.

Ingredients

3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Coopers Light liquid malt extract
2.0 lbs. (0.9 kg) Coopers Light dried malt extract
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) rye malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt (10 °L)
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Victory malt
6.0 oz. (170 g) honey malt
10.5 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins)
3.75 AAU Fuggle hops (30 mins)
2.5 AAU Kent Golding hops (20 mins)
2.5 AAU Kent Golding hops (10 mins)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Fuggle hops (0 mins)
2.0 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hops (dry hop)
1.0 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
White Labs WLP051 (California Ale V) or Wyeast 1332 (Northwest Ale) yeast
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

New to AG, but would love to try this one out. One question, as I live in Hawaii, what was the room temp in which you conditioned your beer bottles at? Wondering if I have to condition it for 7 weeks in the fridge which is a very long time.

Luka,

Brewing this tomorrow, but might sub cascade with centennial, as I have much more of it on hand. I'll also be using wyeast 1056 since my LHBS doesn't stock white labs.. but from what I understand it's the same yeast strain.

72 is the normal for room temp but I wouldn't go any higher then 75 degrees. 2 to 3 weeks at room temperature, then 1 week in the fridge when bottling. USo5, wlp001, and 1056 are the same yeast strain.

This beer was really good, keg kicked way too soon, and alongside another good beer that was kegged earlier.

Will definitely be making this again and again, thanks for the recipe.

awesome picture in the OP! Will be brewing this tomorrow, been trying to decide on a Rye PA recipe for a while now and I've picked yours. Going to sub out the pale for M.O. just to be different.

I've been enjoying this beer a ****load, probably my top 3 beers I've made in the last 3.5 years. Will be making again very soon for sure! I dry hopped with 50g Motueka for the record.

May brew this Sat as i have Rye and 1lb Columbus and Cascade on hand.hmmm looks tasty!

Latest posts

Back