Insulate cooler lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4295

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just converted a 48 qt Igloo Icecube cooler into a MLT using a bazooka tube, bulkhead and SS ball valve. It's nice and water tight and I'm just about ready to use it. I had a question about the hollow lid though. Has anyone ever used low expansion foam to insulate it or is it even worth it? Drill a couple of holes and fill it up? Any ideas or condemnations welcome. :D

Unless your mashes are realllllly long or it's reallllly cold out, I might not bother.
I've only ever lost a degree and that might just be chalked up to random error.
I suppose it couldn't hurt though.

Here are some photos. Can anyone comment on their results with this setup? I also just received my Barley Crusher. Any insight into your preferred roller gap? The factory setting, at the 'marks', was .040" handle side and .038" on the other. I gapped it to be .038" on both sides. Not sure if that's right or not.

DSC02418.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

Fwiw, my JSP mill has the rollers set to .045" It doesn't give a fine crush, but I've never had any efficiency problems. (I get 80 - 85% efficiency depending on how I sparge.)

-a.

Back