Hefe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastamorous

Reaction score
I am creating a recipe based on some readings and other recipes out there I have seen. I wanted suggestions from other brewers on this recipe.
I am going for a hefe, or similar. I don't care if it fits the style exactly

2# Crystal Malt
6# Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1oz Hallertau
Safbrew WB-06 Yeast

I would have gone with Wyeast weiss yeast, but it was not available at the store I went to.

Any suggestions/comments would be great.

That's way too much crystal. The hefeweizen I'm brewing right now has no crystal at all, and I certainly wouldn't put in more than a pound. Hefeweizens should be fairly dry; the sweetness you taste should come from the yeast.

As this is only my third brew, this will end up being an experiment in wheat beer brewing. I ran some ideas through beersmith, and it seems that it will come out quite dark for a hefe and quite light in color for a dunkel.
Thanks for the advice, and next time I brew a hefe, I will definitely go with a lighter malt.

That's way too much crystal. The hefeweizen I'm brewing right now has no crystal at all, and I certainly wouldn't put in more than a pound. Hefeweizens should be fairly dry; the sweetness you taste should come from the yeast.

I agree with the crystal and Hefeweizens being dry. However, the yeast doesn't add any sweetness.

I didn't mean it actually has more sugar, just that it will be perceived as sweeter because of the fruitiness from fermentation.

Back