Lowest Temp For Wyeast California Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
I know it recommends 58-68 being optimal fermentation conditions and I could probably hold in that range, but just because I'm curious I've lowered it a bit further. Does anyone know anything about this yeast and its characteristics at different temps? Right now it's holding at 56.5F and it's fermenting like crazy 24 hrs after pitching. It smells like banana bread in there, almost hefe-ish but I'm doing a "bock" with this hybrid yeast.

My question would be is 56.5 the ambient temp or the temp as measured in the fermenter? Generally things are about 5-6 degrees warmer in the fermenter than what ambient is.

As for the temp range, you have to remember that this a lager yeast, so in my opinion you could probably get a few degrees lower, maybe down to 55 and still be fine. I don't think I would try to go any lower than that.

Back