Haze, but not chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redketchup

Reaction score
Hi there. I have an issue with my last 2 batch : Hazy beer. In books they say this can be an infection. And it's not chill haze, because the beer is hazy event at room temperature. I tried to leave them in the fridge for 3 weeks and that didn't change anything. When I used Coppers can with dextrose only (I know...yuk) the beer was crystal clear. But my last 2 batch I use extract malt with steeping grains and they came out hazy. They are not very carbonated and there's not much yeast in the bottom. Both batches are been aged for 2 months. The beer taste and smell good. If it's just "esthetics", then I don't care. But I wanna know, I wanna understand what's going on. Why my beer is hazy, cloudy. Is every home brew beer is some kind of cloudy?

Thanks

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/p1010100.jpg/

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/p1010099v.jpg/

First one was dark ale : Coopers Dark Ale can, pale extract malt, Crystal 40 and Cascade hop. Second IPA(pics) : Coopers like can, pale extract malt, Crystal 120, Amarillo, boil + dry hop.

IPAs, especially dry-hopped ones, are naturally hazy.

If you are continuing having problems with haze in other beers, finings like gelatin can help clear things up (and Whirlfloc in the boil).

My first brew, a German Amber Ale was hazy too. I fermented for 4 weeks and then kegged. I didn't rack to a secondary. It has been on gas for about 3 weeks. It only cleared this week. The taste really smoothed out as well.

Your beer is hazy because you didn't filter it or use finings to clear it up. The first few beers I brewed looked like this but still tasted great.

Ok, so I'm not doing anything wrong. That's what I was wondering. I'll rack to secondary next week so I'll try to put some gelatin in the carboy.

Back