Found Airlock low on water........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightcorps

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I have a Blond Ale in a bucket fermenter that has been fermenting for about 6 weeks. Normally, I'm pretty diligent on keeping track of things, since I have two kids & numerous animals running around the house and all of them are very interested in the airlock. But, over the last week or so, I haven't been checking on it and I checked today and the water in the airlock was just barely below the notches in the inner cap of the airlock. It looks like it may have just happened, but I'm little concerned in that it could have been that way for a while and air could have been flowing freely. Should I be concerned, little concerned or not at all? I'm going to bottle later today and do a taste test.................

You have a good blanket of CO2 on that beer so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

This is another thing a spray bottle of starsan is good for. Every time I check on my beer, I just give the airlock another squirt to keep it topped up.

No reason to be concerned at all. Even if air could have gotten past the airlock, it is not as dense as the pocket of CO2 sitting on top of the beer so it wouldn't have come in contact.

Welcome to HBT!

No problem at all. The airlock is there to keep things like fruit flies out of your brew and any amount of water in the airlock will stop them. There is a layer of CO2 protecting your beer in the fermenter and little if no air inside.

Do you mean fermenting for 6 weeks, or has been in a fermenter for 6 weeks. If it's been fermenting for 6 weeks, you may have bigger concerns.

Back