How long does it take to denature beta-amylase during the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
So yesterday was a rough brew day. I was planning an American IPA and who knows what'll happen. But on to my question:

Mash Journal:
104-102F for 15 minutes
158-159F for 3-4 minutes
146-142F for 120 minutes
Decoction mash-out to 168F

Mash was conducted with a w:g ratio of about 1.7 qts/lb and I included some 5.2 pH stabilizer.

Grain Bill:
9 lbs. 2-Row
9 lbs. Vienna
1 lb. Crystal 15L

My concern is that the majority of the beta amylase was denatured during those couple of minutes at 158F. This is why I lowered the temp as fast as I could and continued the mash for a very long time (thinking it'd take much more time for a small amount of beta activity to get the same job done).

Anyone care to speculate on the fermentability of the wort? What would you have done in the same situation (besides RDWHAHB, because that was what was responsible for this happening!!) ?

Thanks!

I don't believe that's enough time at that temp to denature the beta.

I'm pretty sure I've heard it takes 15 minutes at mashout temps.

Of course, all of this stuff is highly variable. Diastatic power of your mash will also play a role.

I'm pretty sure I've heard it takes 15 minutes at mashout temps.

When I see the "15 minutes" figure quoted in some literature, I assume that it was just supposed to mean "quickly", but as you say, there are innumerable variables at work here...

Have you ever had experience with a missed mash temp like this on a beer that you wanted to be dry? If so, how did it turn out?

I'd say you have nothing to worry about with 5 minutes in a 1.5:1 ratio @ under 160*. I don't think there is a seasoned infusion brewer that hasn't over-shot their target temps when step mashing.

As Bob Marley used to sing.. dont worry!... be happy!

Latest posts

Back