First time with a saison..............

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angemus

Reaction score
Hey guys! Sooooooo yea this would be my first saison............. Any advice on what I should plan for and expect?

Plan for a ferment anywhere from 4 days to 2 months.
Expect a beer with some fruitiness and funkiness.

It really depends on your recipe, yeast, and fermentation schedule/temperature. If you give a little more info we can give some advice if you're interested.

A lot depends on the recipe and the yeast you use.

Let us know that and we can give some advice.

1.050 OG, WLP566, 100 billion cells in 4 to 5 gallons, 78 degrees in a water bath.

I like it, and it's one of my wife's favorites.

So I was thinking using mostly pilsner and small percentage of golden naked oats....... Yeasty I have is Lallemand Belle Saison Ale Yeast.......... The saison flavors will b with cherry and rosemary

The grain bill sounds fine. Are you thinking of adding rosemary and cherries?

I'm curious about that yeast and will be very interested in hearing how it turns out.

I absolutely love the french saison yeast from wyeast(3711). Very awesome yeast. I would recommend some carapils to the grain bill, but thats just me.

One of my favorite recipes is my saison(a 7.5% abv saison with carapils, 2 row, munich and wheat/New Zealand hops).

3711..... I'll definitely keep that in mind for next one, and look into carapillis.........

as far as the flavors I plan on boiling the rosemary @ initial boil. thought about using fresh cherries but couldnt decide to use it during mash or primary....... So im stickin to extract for a secondary..........

Some people like a dirty farm house taste in their Saision. If you like that then fresh fruit might be okay. Personally I think using extract is wise. You might even consider waiting until bottling to add it. You could even bottle half of the batch and then add the extract so you have a split batch. Again another personal preference, I like to have a variety of beers in my fridge.

Oh...no I wasn't trying to correct your spelling at all, that would be ****ing dickish. i hadn't actually noticed. I just get really excited about.................. saison!!!!!!!!

Oh...no I wasn't trying to correct your spelling at all, that would be ****ing dickish. i hadn't actually noticed. I just get really excited about.................. saison!!!!!!!!
it's one if my favorite styles as well. People correct my spelling more often than i would care to admit. I didn't think you were being a tool. Now I look like the fool. I was just trying to make light of my mistake.

here's my favorite
4 gal
4lb 12oz maris otter
3lb 4oz ger 2 row
2lb ger wheat
6oz flaked wheat
mash at 154*
22g ekg @60
20g saaz @15
ferment at 72*

Follow up........ Wats up fella's! So this morning I bottled the saison........ I got to say fermentation went for 3 weeks at around 78°. I did add the extract as I bottled. now I plan to bottle condition for about 7 weeks the reason for it is the beer is going to be drink of choice at my bro's wedding as requested.

I definitely want to hear all of your feedback with the following.......
I really never liked corn sugar for bottling I like to experiment with different types of sugars........ honey, maple syrup, agave, and brown sugar... this is my first time actually using cane sugar........ Any thoughts or concern with it?

this is my first time actually using cane sugar........ Any thoughts or concern with it?
None at all. I've experimented with a few different sugars. cane sugar is the cheapest and easiest to use and I have seen no difference in the finished product.

I have actually never tried a ginger beer and I'm curious as to how it tastes. but a ginger saison..... you maybe on to something.

Back