WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skimmed kinda quick through this thread but didnt see anyone actually post the guys response.

this is taken from one of the links posted way earlier in the thread

This is the owners response to all the negative comments on their info page.

" First, Although I was not there, I find it extremely difficult to believe that such words would ever be said in our store. That said, even if the conversations were not correctly recounted in his posting, obviously, the customers have left with these perceptions. This is a major concern. We have had several conversations about the postings. We agree that over recent years, with our mail order business growing, it has been increasingly difficult to be as amiable as we should be to the walk in customers. We owe a heart felt apology to anyone who has experienced our rudeness. We never intend to offend anyone. We took a step back and took a look at how we actually appear to the walk in brewer... It was not pretty. We agreed that we need to make efforts to be conscious of this, as well as be more friendly and helpful regardless of the workload. We are also addressed ways to increase our efficiency and make more time to achieve this. Although it may not have been evident to some recently, we still look at our local brewers as our valuable customers and good friends. Dave"

i got 2 local brew stores, none of them are rude. one guy is pretty stand off ish/ unhelpful and another is an older guy (very very older) who seems like he knows a lot about brewing but not communicating. still both amazing stores, ive just learned when to go in to get the people i like.

"We agree that over recent years, with our mail order business growing, it has been increasingly difficult to be as amiable as we should be to the walk in customers. "

I don't see what one has to do with the other. It sounds like they acted like pricks, business suffered because of it, and they decided to grovel in hopes of getting people to come back. Lame.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. It sounds like they acted like pricks, business suffered because of it, and they decided to grovel in hopes of getting people to come back. Lame.

This is why some of us in the service industry let people walk away.
The statement about perception is the most accurate one he made. It won't ever matter to a customer who has made up his mind to see a thing a certain way.

I quoted a customer a piece of equipment from two quality manufacturers. She thought they were both too much money so i offered a list of cheap crap for her to look at. She chose the cheapest. I told her I did not know anything about the manufacturer and could not comment on their quality. She ordered it any way.
So... it was DOA. We don't warranty equipment, the factory does. All I have to do is give her the number of the warranty department and send her on her way. Instead, as soon as I am made aware of a problem, I spend the better part of the next two weks making sure somebody is moving forward getting it fixed. I tell her we'll take care of it if, after it has been serviced, it does not work as as stated by the manufacturer, but they have to be given the chance first.
It gets fixed but, amazingly, is still a cheap piece of crap. There is nothing I can do for "I don't like it" vs "it doesnt work." She chose it, I warned her.
What do I get for 2 weeks of ulcers due to daily calls from her? I get "I am going to shop anywhere but with you". Whatever lady. Good riddance.
Some people cannot be pleased.

Well, this sounds like a great business opportunity...
... for those that live in the area.
hint, Hint, HINT

By posting his website on a brew forum, you just INCREASED his pagerank. You should remove them, all you're doing it promoting him by posting it.

If you really want to get back, look for sponsored search results and click on them. He pays per click (if he pays at all).

Better yet, Google Bomb him in this way:

NAMBLA

That points to his site, not NAMBLAs, but it will place him on the list of search results when someone queries NAMBLA.

That is a win for your sir.

As for the LHBS experience, skrew that place. Get your supplies online if you need to, but never return to that sh-thole again. Make sure to watch for when he goes out of business as well. Treating customers like that won't exactly grow the business.

His website blows as well, I wouldn't order from it even if I didn't know about this.

I have to say I have never had that experience, but I've only ever been to one HBS. It's seriously a guy in his garage who as far as I know does little or no mail order, but he's there, open fro 6pm-8pm every evening (after his real job), and the one time I went in, he was encouraging, helpful, offered to taste my beers and give pointers, and quite willing to spend 30 minutes talking. Great guy.

This is why some of us in the service industry let people walk away.
The statement about perception is the most accurate one he made. It won't ever matter to a customer who has made up his mind to see a thing a certain way.

I quoted a customer a piece of equipment from two quality manufacturers. She thought they were both too much money so i offered a list of cheap crap for her to look at. She chose the cheapest. I told her I did not know anything about the manufacturer and could not comment on their quality. She ordered it any way.
So... it was DOA. We don't warranty equipment, the factory does. All I have to do is give her the number of the warranty department and send her on her way. Instead, as soon as I am made aware of a problem, I spend the better part of the next two weks making sure somebody is moving forward getting it fixed. I tell her we'll take care of it if, after it has been serviced, it does not work as as stated by the manufacturer, but they have to be given the chance first.
It gets fixed but, amazingly, is still a cheap piece of crap. There is nothing I can do for "I don't like it" vs "it doesnt work." She chose it, I warned her.
What do I get for 2 weeks of ulcers due to daily calls from her? I get "I am going to shop anywhere but with you". Whatever lady. Good riddance.
Some people cannot be pleased.
I'm not saying that customers can't be dickheaded, I used to work in the retail and pizza delivery so I've dealt with many asshats. This LHBS that the OP is talking about gave a nonsensical reason for acting like jerks; it wasn't that they tried but came up short, it's that they really didn't try at all and didn't even care UNTIL they saw that it was costing them business.

I'm not saying that customers can't be dickheaded, I used to work in the retail and pizza delivery so I've dealt with many asshats. This LHBS that the OP is talking about gave a nonsensical reason for acting like jerks; it wasn't that they tried but came up short, it's that they really didn't try at all and didn't even care UNTIL they saw that it was costing them business.

Seems to me they knew, or should have known, this would cost them business. I don't see how anyone in their right frame of mind could think any differently.

Pizza Hut is awful. After the pizzas are cooked, they spray them with oil to make them appear shiny - disgusting stuff!

Somethings changed in the 15 years since I worked at pizza hut in college then. I was always surprised at the quality of food that was made and the clean kitchen. Still eat it today from time to time when I have to. I cooked pizzas for almost two years there, the only oil I ever used was in the bottom of pan pizzas.

I prefer a local joint to any of the major chains.

As for the manager of the Pizza Hut, you should contact the area manager. Pizza Hut has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, or did 15 years ago at least.

I've been to my LHBS, well one of them across town. Defalcos. Nice place, good service. I even received a display model of an item at discount rather than tell me they didn't have any.

If a local business owner told me that he didn't need my business I would be on the warpath.

Love this thread...mainly because I have been wanting to vent about a certain LHBS in my neck of the woods.

When I first started brewing I lived in Duluth, GA (just outside of Atlanta). The closest LHBS was "Home Brewin Supplies" in Lilburn. Great people. They carry bulk grain, weigh it and crush it for you, carry a pretty large inventory, give free brewing classes. They do have a tendnency to cater to the not-very-knowledgable" brewers that just want to make quick, cheap, easy beer...but if you press them, they are knowledgeable, and helpful.

Then I moved out to Flowery Branch...much further from the ATL. Found a homebrew store that was closer than the one I had been going to. First time I went in, i was shocked at the lack of inventory. I went in with a recipe. All he had was pre-packaged grain...didn't even have a mill. I had to pay more than I would have at the other store because I couldn't buy it by the pound. When I asked about getting the grain crushed because I didn't have a mill, he said "just roll those cans of LME over the grain" ...okay. They guy didn't even carry floating thermometers...all he had was the stick on kind for the outside of the fermentor!!! My beer turned out crappy, and I starting driving 20 miles further each way to go back to the other store...

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I had sold all my equipment and was going to get back into it...but I was going to start doing a partial mash. I found someone on amazon that had a "basic kit" that was a little more customized, and had everything I needed except the two kettles for $75 + shipping. I called the people at Home Brewing Supplies in Lilburn and asked if they would price match, and they said sure. When I got ready to buy...i figured I would give the other, closer store another chance. I went in there and asked if they would do a price match...he said "Maybe, as long as you buy an ingredient kit from me also"...I said, "well, I kind of need a custom kit, because I am doing partial mash"...he said "those kits are partial mash"..I looked at them and replied.."no, those are partial grain..specialty grain kits"...he said "same thing"..."Never mind", I said...and walked out.

:mad:

I jsut read, well skimmed most of it actually, this entire thread. I don't know why. I have one question, why would you expect a homebrew store that has .com in the name and has a website that is clearly geared for internet orders to stop everything they are doing to for a walk in? They are very clear that you are welcome to pick up your order to save time/shipping but please order ahead of time so they have time to process the order. The store front is obviously there for customer pick-up.

Not saying that being rude is acceptable, but calling the owner an ******* because he doesn't change his business model to meet your needs is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Not saying that being rude is acceptable, but calling the owner an ******* because he doesn't change his business model to meet your needs is like the pot calling the kettle black.

I think he was calling the owner an ******* because he was rude, not because he won't change his buisness model...and when you have a website that claims your employees are all brewers who love to help customers who have questions...and then they are rude instead...well, that is not cool.

Pizza Hut is awful. After the pizzas are cooked, they spray them with oil to make them appear shiny - disgusting stuff!

Oh no garlic butter spray all over my pizza!! Wait, never mind, that is delicious. Read the can before you assume it's purpose is solely cosmetic. I love Pizza Hut Pan Pizza.

I think he was calling the owner an ******* because he was rude, not because he won't change his buisness model...and when you have a website that claims your employees are all brewers who love to help customers who have questions...and then they are rude instead...well, that is not cool.

I guess I still don't understand. It's obviously a web based business, it's even called heartsbrewing.com. The website has links to ask questions.

I have a Dominos pizza in my hometown. I know they are a home delivery pizza business, but I also know that I can call my order in and go pick it up. I'm sure I could walk-in and order a pizza and wait for them to make it for me. I would imagine if I walked in and ordered a pizza off the menu, then started asking them what they would think if I ordered a sausage instead of a pepporini, then started asking them questions about changing their dough recipe then they would get cranky. Especially if I expected them to stop preparing their normal call-in and delivery orders that were ahead of me walking in.

Oh well, I'm still kicking myself for reading this thread let alone posting an opposing view.

I have a Dominos pizza in my hometown. I know they are a home delivery pizza business, but I also know that I can call my order in and go pick it up. I'm sure I could walk-in and order a pizza and wait for them to make it for me. I would imagine if I walked in and ordered a pizza off the menu, then started asking them what they would think if I ordered a sausage instead of a pepporini, then started asking them questions about changing their dough recipe then they would get cranky. Especially if I expected them to stop preparing their normal call-in and delivery orders that were ahead of me walking in.

Yes, because buying equipment and ingredients for making beer yourself is exactly like ordering a pizza.

I'm another ex-pizza hut pizza maker. We never sprayed the tops of pizzas with oil. However; we did put oil in the pan prior to putting the frozen puck of dough in, then sprayed that with oil prior to proofing the dough.

Back to OP - When I worked for a Vegas hotel we were always drilled that it took 1 bad customer experience to lose 8 potential customers. It took approximately 30 good customer experiences to make 1 new customer. The odds are not in favor of the proprietor. All the more reason to be good to all your customers. OFF TOPIC RANT: Then the stupid hotel would oversell rooms by about 200 and we would have a ton of people in the lobby extremely pissed that they would be spending the night NOT in the room they booked and possibly not in any room at all. /RANT

I have to say skinydipper your a dumb ass ordering dominos pizza and buying beer supplies are so far apart. One is a bix box fast food who stamps out product like a machine and the other is a local owner operator with craft/specialty products that most all its customers customize on every order. One has 3 stoned pot heads taking your $5.00 for a crappy pizza and the other the owner or one of his 3 employees is there to help you decide what may or may not be better in your beer. If we wanted big box crap we would buy Budweiser or Coors or Miller or nameless other crappy beers we DONT if you want to compare lhb to pizza use pappa murphys they will let you pick anything you want and your go home and cook it. BUT ITS STILL PIZZA NOT BEER I know they go together but not the same in this case.

I guess I still don't understand. It's obviously a web based business, it's even called heartsbrewing.com. The website has links to ask questions.

Oh well, I'm still kicking myself for reading this thread let alone posting an opposing view.

Regardless of the name, there exists a retail, walk-up, brick and mortar store, for customers to go to. Why have this if you are not really willing to properly operate it? Just have the internet business. Its absurd, as is that argument. Putting .com on the name doesn't give license to act inappropriately... unless, of course, you don't intend to make that side of the business work.... but then, again, why would you open that in the first place???

You should kick yourself for posting the worst analogy in internet history.

_

Regardless of the name, there exists a retail, walk-up, brick and mortar store, for customers to go to. Why have this if you are not really willing to properly operate it? Just have the internet business. Its absurd, as is that argument. Putting .com on the name doesn't give license to act inappropriately... unless, of course, you don't intend to make that side of the business work.... but then, again, why would you open that in the first place???

This is my point exactly. I know what the Dominos business is, therefor I don't expect to receive something they don't offer. The OP walked into a web based business expecting to receive personal service. The OP gets angry because the web based business owner did not stop his business process to tell the OP that modifying an award winning brew by adding honey and more hops is perhaps the most brilliant idea ever. Oh, and holy ****, maybe he should reconsider the whole on-line business thing. I mean come on, Net-Flix has proven that internet sales will never keep up with walk-in businesses like Blockbuster. Oh yeah, maybe he should take the .com off the end of his business name - it only causes confusion, his customers won't recognise it as an on-line business. Oh, closing his store and running the business from his garage is a great idea. Now if he can just get his garage rezoned, approval from his HOA, and a pile of permits from the city and/or county he can save 20%-30% in tax deductions, oops I mean operating costs.

So the guy was rude. Put your big girl panties on and get over it. Going on a popular web site and calling him an ******* is unlikely to make him want to change his business plan to a walk-in friendly atmosphere. This thread is several years old, the website is still up, the guy is still in business so his business plan must be working. I also notice on his website that he still is not, and doesn't seem to be planning on becoming a walk-in store, curious as that is after the berating he has taken here and other places for not catering to local brewers.

One has 3 stoned pot heads taking your $5.00 for a crappy pizza and the other the owner or one of his 3 employees is there to help you decide what may or may not be better in your beer.

Can we combine those? I like to buy my homebrew supplies from stoned potheads. They are so encouraging!

"Dude, that beer sounds absolutely ***king EPIC! Seriously, E-P-ick! Well, not ick... I can't ***king spell. MAKE THAT BEER!" - actual quote from one store I was at, the guy was toast. Made me want to brew some beer though!

This is my point exactly. I know what the Dominos business is, therefor I don't expect to receive something they don't offer. The OP walked into a web based business expecting to receive personal service. The OP gets angry because the web based business owner did not stop his business process to tell the OP that modifying an award winning brew by adding honey and more hops is perhaps the most brilliant idea ever. Oh, and holy ****, maybe he should reconsider the whole on-line business thing. I mean come on, Net-Flix has proven that internet sales will never keep up with walk-in businesses like Blockbuster. Oh yeah, maybe he should take the .com off the end of his business name - it only causes confusion, his customers won't recognise it as an on-line business. Oh, closing his store and running the business from his garage is a great idea. Now if he can just get his garage rezoned, approval from his HOA, and a pile of permits from the city and/or county he can save 20%-30% in tax deductions, oops I mean operating costs.

So the guy was rude. Put your big girl panties on and get over it. Going on a popular web site and calling him an ******* is unlikely to make him want to change his business plan to a walk-in friendly atmosphere. This thread is several years old, the website is still up, the guy is still in business so his business plan must be working. I also notice on his website that he still is not, and doesn't seem to be planning on becoming a walk-in store, curious as that is after the berating he has taken here and other places for not catering to local brewers.

I think our "points" were polar opposites. Maybe I didn't do a good job of properly stating my point.

oh well... I must be bored if I'm arguing this.

This is my point exactly. I know what the Dominos business is, therefor I don't expect to receive something they don't offer. The OP walked into a web based business expecting to receive personal service.
This would be a great point, except they ARE offering walk-in service, otherwise they would lock the front door with a sign that says "Internet Order Pick-up only..ring bell for service"
The OP gets angry because the web based business owner did not stop his business process to tell the OP that modifying an award winning brew by adding honey and more hops is perhaps the most brilliant idea ever.
Stop his buisness process??? WTF??? If the guy is up on the front walk in floor behind a counter, helping walk-in-customers IS HIS CURRENT BUSINESS!!
Oh, and holy ****, maybe he should reconsider the whole on-line business thing. I mean come on, Net-Flix has proven that internet sales will never keep up with walk-in businesses like Blockbuster. Oh yeah, maybe he should take the .com off the end of his business name - it only causes confusion, his customers won't recognise it as an on-line business.
I think most of us hear were arguing the opposite...focus on just doing web-orders ONLY. This owner is trying to gain EXTRA revenue by also doing a little walk-in business as well...but is not willing to actually treat those customers with respect.
Oh, closing his store and running the business from his garage is a great idea. Now if he can just get his garage rezoned, approval from his HOA, and a pile of permits from the city and/or county he can save 20%-30% in tax deductions, oops I mean operating costs.
Again you are missing the point...it is not necessarily that he DOES relocate to his home garage, but the idea that if he doesn't care about walk-in business, then why have a walk in store at all??

I also notice on his website that he still is not, and doesn't seem to be planning on becoming a walk-in store, curious as that is after the berating he has taken here and other places for not catering to local brewers.
If you have a walk in showroom, and you allow people to wal in and buy stuff, you are a walk in store.

Nice try dude, but Dominos makes your pizza, not you. Now if the OP went to a brewpub and asked what he asked then your analogy has validity. It's like going to a hardware store and asking the people for help using Durock instead of Wonderboard for your bathroom and the guy giving you attitude because they prefer Wonderboard.

Lol OT but i love Dominos new marketing campaign "Hey, try our pizza's, they don't suck as much as they used to!" or "Remember how everyone said our pizza's sucked? Well, they were right!"

This is such a wonderful site for homebrew newcomers. The following quotes from the first few and the last few pages of this thread are a clear demonstration of how this forum promotes homebrewing.

I still don’t understand why everyone is so upset. Their website clearly states they want you to order on line. They have a PHONE number for help line. They specifically stated that they don’t want walk-ins. They have fax in order service and on-line order service.

I think it’s very clear they don’t want walk-ins, but I guess that makes me ******* also.

I have to say skinydipper your a dumb ass ...

I've just returned home from the worst LHBS experience of my life. I am so upset I had to calm myself down for 10 minutes before writing this. NEVER in my life have I been treated so callously by any store owner.

To speak to someone like that, especially someone who you know is a beginner in the awesome hobby of homebrewing, is just downright evil and cruel. If it was might first time in there I would probably be pretty heart broken and not even try to make beer.

Thoughts please, to make me feel better and not go hurt somebody...

What an *******. What a ****ing *******.

Honestly, I don't really feel like discouraging you from hurting someone (as long as it's him).

That is just awful. What a prick!

I disagree with Cheesefood, I think you should keep it on here just because it's bad publicity for him. Your complaints will influence other homebrewers in your area who read that review and maybe they will also choose to boycott. Actually, if I were you, I would post that on as many homebrew forums as you can find. Hurt his local business AND his online business. He'll care when he starts losing more and more customers.

You're right in that the greatest tragedy is for newcomers to the hobby accidentally getting stomped on by this guy. It could easily put someone right out of ever doing anything remotely connected to homebrewing again, and that would be absolutely criminal!
QUOTE]

i agree what an *******. he deserves to lose any business for treating local customers that way. and did he get bad reviews from the other link you posted.

Wow!! This is bull****. The entire point of having a LHBS is to help people with their brews and achieve their desired tastes. The entire home brew community is supposed to be a friendly group of individuals willing to help. Screw hearts! Anyone else know of another LHBS in the Orlando area?

This is one of my favorites, quoting from the website where they are asking you to CALL the help line, but he’s called a loser for “false advertising”?

Home Brew Beer Supply
See Our Great Prices
Award Winnning Home Brewers Are Available For Help
- When you need assistance, you want someone who knows the products and techniques that will help you brew beer you´ll love. We´re brewers ourselves. We´ve done our homework and we will steer you in the right direction. Our help line number is (407) 298-4103. The best times to call are before noon and after 4 pm. We want to help you brew better beer. If you don´t see what you want on this on-line-catalog, ASK FOR IT! We´ll get it for you at a terrific price. We hope to hear from you soon, and as always, we appreciate your business! Happy Brewing!

The above came from his site! F***ing losers...damn false advertisment.

:rockin: Hmmm nasty emails...that will make his day! HAHAHA...people get what they deserve. Treat others the way you would want to be treated, well clearly he wants to be treated like $hit. Sorry, I just cant stand people like that. I was so mad when I first read about this. Rock on Homebrewers!:rockin:

What a dipstick. I would not buy from http://www.heartshomebrew.com at all based on their reputation of irritating customers.

Regardless of personal opinion, we don't treat each other around here like this. There is no name calling. We are a civilized group who are grown up enough disagree.

This is such a wonderful site for homebrew newcomers. The following quotes from the first few and the last few pages of this thread are a clear demonstration of how this forum promotes homebrewing.

I still don’t understand why everyone is so upset. Their website clearly states they want you to order on line. They have a PHONE number for help line. They specifically stated that they don’t want walk-ins. They have fax in order service and on-line order service.

I think it’s very clear they don’t want walk-ins, but I guess that makes me ******* also.

This is one of my favorites, quoting from the website where they are asking you to CALL the help line, but he’s called a loser for “false advertising”?

Ok, so what happens if you don't like to use the internet to shop (or never heard of their online store) and walk into their store? You get poorly treated because you weren't internet savvy or don't like giving your credit card number over the internet (there are people out there like that)?

There are plenty of good examples of online homebrew stores that will still treat their customers right in person, why can't we as consumers be critical of a business that doesn't?

EDIT: people are calling you an ******* because you came up with a very poor analogy not because you are defending the store. At least one other person reasonably said that maybe it was a bad day for the worker and the OP should give it another try, not an ******* comment and thus didn't not receive ******* replies.

I'm looking through Hearts and I can't find anything about online ordering only. This is in their pick up though.

We do not pre-package or pre-process any of our fresh ingredients. We crack, weigh and portion your order when you request it. In doing this for all our customers, we often have delays in getting you your product and getting you on your way. There is no telling how many customers will be waiting for there turn for the scale, mill or register when you arrive. We are always looking for better ways to get everyone the best quality products possible and keeping the waiting line to minimum in our cramped little store.

Also the OP is from 2006.

I have to say, of all the horrible experiences I've had with LHBS in my area (and there are many) one in particular comes to mind. I go to the local place, walk in, trip over a box that was left in front of the door, and walk up to the counter. An older man sits there, seemingly staring off into space. I ask him one or two questions about beer, am told that he doesn't brew beer, only wine, and he knows nothing about it. After one or two more questions he asks if I'd like to buy the store from him, because he really doesn't want to own it anymore.

Thankfully the guys that actually did end up buying the place are some of the best around, and have made the store a destination for supplies and advice, so here's the plug :) Brew - Wine Hobby

Okay, bummed about moving to another place where the LHBS blows. If these guys are gonna make me order online anyways I'll just keep using the bigger guys that offer better deals. Kinda sad because I want to support my local guys and enjoy having the local brewshop boss tell me my beer needs work but its getting better every time then asking about my process and temps and providing good advice. Hopefully the Orlando brew clubs do frequent bulk buys so I can get most of what I need in bulk.

Wow! You dredged up an old thread. The OP was in 2006 and the last previous post was in 2010.

Not really sure what your point is either. Have you got a LHBS where you are creating a relationship or are you complaining about the same establishment as the OP?

If you can't find a good LHBS then order online and look to join a club for advise.

Back