summer capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
swamp_cooler_41209.jpg
Now that it is hot here, can't brew without thinking about capacity to cool the brew. I am currently using two 120 qrt coolers for swamp coolers/ice & fan. We are still working on my brew space so I can't hook up a full size fermentation fridge and my mini fridge box is only good for 5 gallons. So when you are at capacity, with nothing to move out of the line now how do you cope? Do you run out and buy more equipment?

So when you are at capacity, with nothing to move out of the line now how do you cope? Do you run out and buy more equipment?

The past 2 trips to the brew store, in addition to ingredients I picked up an ale pail (1st trip) and another ale pail and a 5 gallon better bottle (2nd trip).

So, yeah, if I'm at capacity I buy more buckets.

But I'm lucky in having a cellar that ranges from 61F to 70F depending on which room and how close to the water heater, so I only need swamp coolers for some batches. If you need swamp coolers for everything then it gets trickier.

I pretty much have to stop for the summer. I'm not gonna pay $200 a month to keep the AC on all day just to keep the fermenters happy. Luckily I brewed enough to last a while.

swamp_cooler_41209.jpg
Now that it is hot here, can't brew without thinking about capacity to cool the brew. I am currently using two 120 qrt coolers for swamp coolers/ice & fan. We are still working on my brew space so I can't hook up a full size fermentation fridge and my mini fridge box is only good for 5 gallons. So when you are at capacity, with nothing to move out of the line now how do you cope? Do you run out and buy more equipment?

Bathtub. That is if you've got one that no one's using. The cast iron and water will keep things cool for a long time.

I pretty much have to stop for the summer. I'm not gonna pay $200 a month to keep the AC on all day just to keep the fermenters happy. Luckily I brewed enough to last a while.

You should buy an old fridge and convert it to a fermentation chamber. For the cost of one month you'll have something that will use hardly any electricity in comparison, and you'd even be able to lager if you wanted to, no matter what time of year it is.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I am not opposed to spending the money, its just that right now space is at a premium. We are working on my brew space so we have everything moved over to one side & walls torn open to add plumbing & eletrical lines killed off to add new stuff. Lots of stuff in the way etc. I guess I just need to stop brewing for a few months until we get my brew space done.

Back