Busy "brew" day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ego Archive

Reaction score
So I figured that since I had to bottle up a batch of hefeweizen today, I might as well put the carboy right back to work. With Thanksgiving coming up, I figured I would take a stab at something that I have been wanting to try for awhile.

Thanksgiving Amber Gruit

Extract/steeped grains

6 Lbs Amber LME
1.5lbs Amber Belgian candi syrup

1lbs CaraRed
.5lbs Honey Malt
.5lbs Melanoidin

1oz Mugwort (60min boil)
1oz Heather Tips (60min Boil)
1oz Heather Tips (30min boil)
.25oz Sweet Gale (10min boil)
1oz Indian Sasparilla (10 min boil, steeped through cool down)
.25oz Carroway seed (steeped)

.25 Sweet Gale (dry hopped)
.5oz Cinnamon chips (dry hopped)

Northwest Ale Activator Wyeast ACT1332

I steeped the grains for an hour @ 155 degrees. Moved on to a full boil for an hour with the Amber LME, and the additions. Added the Candi syrup at the end of the boil (In retrospect I think I should have gone with honey, but such is life), and finally had the opportunity to use my wort chiller.

I decided to try using the spent grains for some bread, unfortunately neither loaf worked out. All in all, a good day! I was able to try a new recipe, and filled up the "new" party pig with hefe for a Halloween party coming up; so I'm pretty happy.

I think I am going to give this one a try. I don't think it will be ready for thanksgiving but Christmas

Back