Gluhwein component selections?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out just which wine to use for home made gluhwein. Most gluhwein recipes are pretty similar to each other, but the one big variable is the wine. I keep getting a bitter aftertaste, mild, but still quite noticable even through all those spices & citrus & sugar. I've been using a cheap burgundy (Carlo Rossi) and I'm certain that's the culprit. Problem is: I don't want to use a $25 bottle of wine & don't know much about cheap wines, except that they're cheap; usually in both price and taste. Any suggestions on base wine selections for gluhwein, or how to clone Nurnburg street vendor gluhwein would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, GF.

I've never made my own, but I got this from a German site:

Hot Apple Wine "Heisse Ebbelwei"
(Traditional Frankfurt Recipe)
Ingredients:
1 Liter Apple Wine
1/8 Liter water
60 grams sugar (approx 2oz)
1/4 stick cinnamon
3 cloves
Peelings of half a lemon or two lemon slices
Preparation
Bring the sugar, spices and water to a boil. (instead of the water experts say that you really should use apple wine for a better flavor) Then let this mixture steep for 30 minutes. finally, mix in the remainder of the apple wine and carefully reheat to just under the boiling point.
Gluehwein (Traditional Glow Wine)
Use the same ingredients and methods, but substitute a good red wine for apple wine.
If desired, flavor with lemon or orange juice to taste. Glühwein is sometimes also made from raspberry, blueberry and blackberry wines.
Below are Variations of Gluehwein (but never of Heisse Ebbelwei!!!):
1. French Glow Wine: Use Bordeaux with cinnamon, rubbed nutmeg and bay leaves as the spices.
2. Seehund (Sea Dog): Substitute white wine for the red, and prepare as traditional glow wine. Depending on the acidity of the wine, a little lemon juice can be added to taste.
3. Negus: Prepare with port wine (1/2 wine, 1/2 water) and use rubbed nutmeg and lemon peelings for the spices.
4. Honig Gluehwein (Honey Glow wine): prepare with red wine, 150gm honey (5oz), some cinnamon stick and two lemon slices. Heat to just under boiling.

The following is a special sort of Gluehwein. It is popular in alpine regions, especially after skiing.
Jagertee (Hunter's Tea)
1/4 Liter black tea
1/4 Liter red wine
1/4 Liter orange juice
1/4 Liter Obstler (Schnapps - not the sweet American versions, but something like Kirschwasser or dry plum brandy)
60 - 80 grams sugar (2-3 oz)
1/4 stick cinnamon
3 cloves
peelings of 1/2 lemon or two lemon slices.

Heat all the ingredients until they simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Add sugar to taste.

A red French table wine or Land Wine will do the best and be most similer. Semi-Dry too.

You might try a cheap bottle of Chianti too.

Not really, as I think of Sangria as Spanish chilled Apfelwein as it is made with red wine, sugar & fruit wedges.

Any cheap European red wine will do.
Uh, Ed...since I lived in Germany for 9 years and have been to Spain 6 times...Sangria is a cheap European red wine...HAHAHA!!!

Sounds like a great base for a hot sugary mulled wine...

Gluhwein challenge!!! HAHAHA!!!!

I just want to say that Gluhwein in Heildelberg was my first legal beverage on a family vacation just before I turned 21. I would love to make that, its a good warm winter drink. Oh and we even went on to Nurnburg and continued to enjoy it at more Christmas fairs, man those things were amazing and extravagant.

I don't think sangria would be good for gluehwein at all. When I think gluehwein I think cinnamon and cloves, not awkward tasting citrus.

I've had some commercial gluehwein and while they were alright, I can't get anywhere near the sheer awesomeness of the huge kettles of the stuff I'd get at fairs in Bremen.

OK, I'll concede Sangria may not be the BEST choice...but it already has the fruit flavor...

Nurnberg Gluhwein is not very difficult to get in the US. I remember passing through Laramie, Wyoming one year and they had some at the local liquour store.

I was surprised all the hell...especially that the bottle wasn't dusty. :)

Thanks to all for the responses! I might just try all of these suggestions, except the sangria, just not all on the same day/night. <LOL> I've come to respect Ed Wort's advice & I'll definitely try those, thanks Ed. Tusch: Yes, I remember "Kris Kindlemarkt" (or was it "Kris Kringlemarkt"?) in Nurnburg; with the snow crunching underfoot, all the bright, sparkly things for sale, the wurst, potato & gluhwein vendors, etc... Nothing quite like it, almost like a living, European version of a Rockwell painting. I'll have to go back someday. Regards, GF.

I use Carlo Rossi Burgundy. I believe. I once tried the CR Merlot and it was to astringent and dry for a Gluehwein. My wife uses the CR Burgundy for Sangria and it also works well for that.

I also thought that I had a recipe for Gluehwein on the board here. But I can't find it.

Kai

Back