Fishing line instead of hop twine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmeone

Reaction score
OK... so I bought the hop twine from freshhops.com. I live in a condo/townhouse... and am growing a willamette on our back patio. I want to run a line from the pot on the balcony to the second floor bedroom.

I'm contemplating using some fishing line... perhaps 50# test instead of the hop twine. It'll be less noticable as the thick dark-brown rope. Since our balcony faces a courtyard with other units... I'm thinking something less noticable like fishing line would be more appealing to our neighbors.

Anyone think the hops would have trouble wrapping around and climbing up something as thin as fishing line?

I don't think the hops will be able to hold onto fishing line. Everything that I have read or listened to says to use rough twine so the hops can grip it.

I wouldn't use fishing line either. You can get a ball of packing twine pretty cheap at the local pharmacy. It also is much more visible than fishing line.

Latest posts

Back