Fridge broke 2wks till fx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I bought a used fridge. Was of course working perfectly when bought.
Had it moved professionall and waited over 24 hours until plugged back in.

I had an october fest in secondary at the time and was going to rack to my keg and begin CO2 and cold storage. I check the firdge and all I have is lots of air but not much cooling so i check with a local repair shop and they can't come to my
aid for 2 weeks. Will the beer be just fine on CO2 at room temp? Do I even give it another thought? Frige guy says from symptoms I list it is the compressor and not a freon leak. Bummer. Just curious and want colder beer.

Gregg

Just my 2 cents, Buy a new fridge so you get a warrenty. Use any other fridge's for beer brewing.

funny thing about used fridge, they may last for years or only days, must be like buying used soda kegs!

No problems with it on CO2 at room temp, but if you want to force carbonate it you will need to crank up the pressure. When I force carbonate at 73F in my storage room I have it set at 29PSI if I recall correctly.

Johnsmith;

i know all about buying used fridge. I gambled and lost this one but might win after the compresser is replaced. I don't need a lecture, I just want to know if the lack of cool will screw up the beer? Thank you bradsul for the generous info with out the commentary. I will crank the pressure and see how it tastes in two weeks. I brewed this octoberfest August 17, Should be good it has an 8% alcohol
level. I tasted the flat version and it was real smooth.

Latest posts

Back