Carboy Aged vs. Bottle Aged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdahl1289

Reaction score
I recently did a IPA that was suppossed to be in the secondary fermenter for 6 week total. Some how i missed that part and bottled the beer after a total of two weeks instead of 7 weeks it suggested. Will i be ok if I just leave it in the bottle for 6 weeks before putting in the fridge for tasting?

:tank::ban::mug:

How long did it sit in the primary? I can't imagine leaving an ipa in the secondary for 7 weeks unless you were trying to mellow out a mistake.

For my ipas I ferment for two weeks before dry hopping in the primary and then they sit in bottles for at least 3 weeks before going in the fridge.

I added my dry hops for the last 5 days in the secondary. I think they suggested the 6 weeks in the secondary, because there was a high OG. I think it was 1.061. I dont think i screwed up the beer, but just not sure if waiting in one over the other make a big deal. Thanks for input.

1.061 isn't a very high og. I consider a high og to be 1.08+. Either way, you don't need to secondary it for 6 weeks (unless you want to).

Yeah, letting an IPA with a lower OG like that may take away some of that hop flavor and aroma as well.
I brewed a 1.092 IPA that I let sit in primary for 3 and secondary 2 weeks and the aroma was all but lost in that time and dry hopping didn't help of too much. IPA needs to be enjoyed somewhat quick. Its not a better with age type of beer (usually) especially if you are using an astronomical amount of hops of could be a waste letting it sit.

With this brew i used 3oz of Pacific Jade hops for 5 gallons. then dry hopped with another 2oz. I went back and looked at my data sheet, and I guess my O.G. was 1.071, still under what you guys concider high. So I think I am just not going to worry about it and just enjoy one this weekend, and if it needs more time it will have to be in the bottle. I like to try one before i put all of them in the fridge.
Thanks again guys.

Cracked a couple over the weekend. Super hoppy. They where really good. So the longer they sit the more mellow they get? Or does the dry hoppy the last five days ramp up the hoppiness?

Cracked a couple over the weekend. Super hoppy. They where really good. So the longer they sit the more mellow they get? Or does the dry hoppy the last five days ramp up the hoppiness?

The longer they sit, the less hoppy they will taste. Hops flavor and aroma fade relatively quickly.

I did not do the best job keeping all the hops out of the transfer. You could see the little peices of hop sediment cascading down the glass after the pour.

Latest posts

Back