Temp Controller. DIY vs premade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seannymurrs

Reaction score
Looking at buying or building a temperature controller for the fermentation chamber I'm building. I've seen a lot of plans for building a temp controller, but I've also seen something like this for sale. I'm assuming building it myself would cost less, but are there any other advantages over buying something premade?

For sure just a personal choice. In the end you will save a little money doing it the DIY route, however it's more about simply doing it yourself (pride?) and being able to manipulate it to your own specs. If your in to making stuff (other than beer) go the DIY, if it's just another choir before you can get back to making beer, then buy it already made.........

Am I right that the one I linked in my OP is a Ranco ETC-211000 that MoreBeer prewired?

FYI - I fall into the "like to get my hands dirty" category:D

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

That's right -- it's functionally the same as this.

As far as saving money goes, just be aware that it's not just a little money, especially if you're looking at a dual stage controller. I looked at this ranco, but eventually bought an STC-1000 and built my own in a project box. I think I spent $35 in the end.

As a middle ground, rebel brewer sells a pre-wired STC-1000. That's here.

$$$$ is the reason I did it. $21 for the controller off of eBay, $7 for a project box from radio shack, $2 for an outlet and cover plate and $8 for an extension cord.

$38 vs the $80 plus for the rebel brewer version (which is the cheapest that I've seen)

It's a very easy project.

Hey 501irishred, what was your source for contactors. I've looked around on the webz and I can never seem to find what I need for a good price.

I'm a HVAC technician so I'm able to get them through local HVAC supply house. Unfortunately nowadays many wont sell to unlicensed customers, so you might call around before you drive.

Lucky you, I bet you get the pro discount too. I finally found at least one decent source I thought I'd share for people. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_31. These are definitely cheaper to than the special purpose (aka proprietary-ware) HVAC contactors. They also seem easier to use since they have built-in mounts and screw terminals, etc. I'm not really a fan of the ice cube relays.

Looks good! These are actually used in HVAC as well, the difference from the standard cookie cutter AC contactor is the control voltage. The control (coil) voltage for the ones from your website are 110V or 240V. The ones I typically have in stock are 24V control, so I had to also install a 24V transformer. Yours would make for an easier, more straight forward build for most people. Fortunately, yes I get quite a discount (may need to rethink what I'm charging for installed parts after seeing those prices lol).

Back