Kolsch recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
A looking to make a kölsch take to an upcoming party for the summer, and I was wanting a bit of input on my recipe. Currently, the recipe is super simple, but I was kind of wanting to spice it up a bit... As it is right now, it is simply pilsner malt, pale wheat malt, and Golding hops.

I was wondering if I should add something to the grain bill to add a bit of variety to it, but my gut tells me to leave that be since the end result will be of such a low gravity and light mouthfeel that the base wont have as much of an impact to it. My other thoughts were to play with my hop choices and maybe "Americanize" it with some bright citrusy hops towards the end of the boil.

Any thoughts?

I don't mean to poo-poo your recipe, but if you're looking for a fast, easy kolsch-ish brew, I recommend BierMuncher's Orange Kolsch.

Super easy to make, fast fermentation, people LOVE the taste.
I just brewed 10 gallons - it lasted all of 2 days, and I was threatened with physical violence if I didn't re-brew it at once. :D
On the re-brew I plan on using smoked coriander. I think it'll give it just that pinch of 'something extra'.

take to an upcoming party for the summer,

Don't forget to the glassware. People who have never had Kolsch always get a kick out of it.

kranz.jpg

A small percentage of munich or aromatic can be nice, it's not really supposed to be a "complicated" style. Another option is first wort hopping if you have to do something new.

Jamil Z. uses 1 lb of munich in his Kolsch to add some interest (no wheat in his recipe IIRC). I've never used Munich in my kolsch but ~4oz of honey malt adds comes through well and adds a subtle honey sweetness that isn't overpowering and doesn't seem out of style to me. Hops are supposed to. e downplayed here; adding extra hops to a kolsch basically makes a Pilsner.

I would leave it as is. As I understand it, the yeast profile is the most important part of a Kolsch as it will impart some fruitiness to the beer. I would try to ferment it at around 60-62 degrees, don't let it get too warm or you will get some esthers that make it more Belgian like. That's been my experience anyway. Also, when it is done fermenting try to give a bit of a lagering period if you can. For hops, I would just keep it to one addition at 60 minutes to the tune of about 15-20 IBU's.

I used Vienna malt in my last batch... Maybe I will try aromatic or honey and see how that comes out. I still think I want to Americanize the hop bill on it, it might take it outside of style guidelines, but could lead to a fun beer :)

So I think I have finalized my recipe. I decided to add a touch of honey malt to the grain bill, and as for hops, I decided to kind of hop burst it to bring forth some interesting flavors. This is my hop schedule, which will get me about 35 ibu:

.5oz goldings @ 60
.5oz goldings @ 30
1oz goldings @ 10
1oz goldings @ 5
1pz Amarillo @ 5
1oz goldings @ 3
1oz amarillo @ 3
1oz goldings @ KO
1oz Amarillo @ either KO or dry hop (haven't decided if I want to dry hop...)

8 oz to achieve 35 ibu lol.

Since you're asking for opinions...
It looks way too hoppy for a Kolsch. 30 IBUs is generally the top end and you are at 35 IBUs. I suggest 25 IBUs and don't add any hops for the last 45 minutes. I think a simple hop schedule with one or two German Noble hop additions are the way to go.

So I think I have finalized my recipe. I decided to add a touch of honey malt to the grain bill, and as for hops, I decided to kind of hop burst it to bring forth some interesting flavors. This is my hop schedule, which will get me about 35 ibu:

.5oz goldings @ 60
.5oz goldings @ 30
1oz goldings @ 10
1oz goldings @ 5
1pz Amarillo @ 5
1oz goldings @ 3
1oz amarillo @ 3
1oz goldings @ KO

Is that a Kolsch or an IPA??? WAY too much hops for a Kolsch!

Don't waste a kolsch yeast on that. You'll never taste the delicious subtleties from it with that nuclear option hop bill.

I have actually heard Kolsch yeast can make some really nice APAs/IPAs, so that is what you have here really.

If you want a classic Kolsch, I think 100% pils malt, some noble German hops with an easy hand, and kolsch yeast is all you need.

HollisBT said:

.5oz goldings @ 60
.5oz goldings @ 30
1oz goldings @ 10
1oz goldings @ 5
1pz Amarillo @ 5
1oz goldings @ 3
1oz amarillo @ 3
1oz goldings @ KO

Wow looks way complicated.

Hmmm yeah I figured you had built that yourself. I don't have access to a lathe, but I suppose I could find a wooden handle like that somewhere. The rest of it would be fairly easy.

Hmmm yeah I figured you had built that yourself. I don't have access to a lathe, but I suppose I could find a wooden handle like that somewhere. The rest of it would be fairly easy.

Even easier hit up Home Depot and find their table leg selection. They have a wide variety of lengths and shapes and they have a bolt threaded into the bottom.

Did you use a hole-saw or just a simple spade-bit for the stange holes?

Btw fellas, I turned 25 tonight. First time I've ever had a birthday and not had to visit a liquor store. :D

Home brewing is the ticket.

Did you use a hole-saw or just a simple spade-bit for the stange holes?

Btw fellas, I turned 25 tonight. First time I've ever had a birthday and not had to visit a liquor store. :D

Home brewing is the ticket.

I used a hole saw. Would have been even cleaner if I owned a drill press but I did a solid job just using my cordless drill.

I entered a triple hopped Kolsch in a local homebrew contest under the "specialty" style and scored really well. Didn't win but got great marks from the judges. I called it "Kolschenstien". It was basically an imperial IPA hop bill. When it first came out it was way too bitter but after lagering it for a week it settled down to a great beer.
My regular Kolsch got first place in the same competition and it was a "normal" hop bill, just 2.5 oz of crystal hops at 60 minutes(ten gallon, all-grain). I was lucky enough to go to Cologne last summer and really learned a lot about the style. Now I can't get enough/brew enough of it.
Experimenting with the Kolsch yeast is already in the works. I think it would be a great IPA yeast as long as you can still taste it!

Any chance you'd be willing to post your grain bill/ mash temps/ ferm temps here? I'm still really into this style but as simple as it seems, there's a fair amount to learn....

.5oz goldings @ 60
.5oz goldings @ 30
1oz goldings @ 10
1oz goldings @ 5
1pz Amarillo @ 5
1oz goldings @ 3
1oz amarillo @ 3
1oz goldings @ KO

How about just putting one pellet in every 1.3 seconds....LOL....I have never had the patience for hop bursting. I clean during most of the boil!

My blue ribbon Kolsch was a 10 gallon batch, all grain, with my HERMs system(pics in my gallery). It's one of the simplest beers to make but the fermentation is the key.

18 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs Wheat
.5 lbs carapils

2.5 oz. Crystal leaf hops (4.7% alpha) @ 60 minutes.

Dough in was 135 but quickly stepped to 154 for 60 minutes, single infusion is fine, just keep the mash temp on the low side to keep the dry/crisp character.

Wyeast 2565 w/ 2000ml starter on a stir plate 24hrs before pitching. Fermentation temps MUST be low, around 65 for the duration. Then lager it for a week. I just throw it in a keg and start drinking.

That's it!

Kolsch is pretty much about the yeast. Simple malts (90% pilsner), simple hops, and cool fermentation. Other than that, you can certainly play around a bit but, in my mind, if you can't taste the subtle kolsch yeast, you've lost what makes it a kolsch.

With that being said, I make a pretty tasty Double IPA that has greater than 100 ibu's and is around 8% abv that I use kolsch yeast with. In that case, the subtlety is lost and I use it because I just need a clean yeast that gets the job done well. Since I make kolsch's often, I just reuse the yeast.

Back