Pacman vs WLP029 (Kolsch) for American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a nice refreshing, simple wheat beer. American Style:

5 pound two row
5 pound white wheat
1/2 oz magnum at 60
1/2 oz ammarilo at 5
1/2 oz ammarilo at FO

I am debating on yeast.....neutral american ale yeast, Pacman, or WLP029? They both rock

You can't go wrong with either of these yeast strains. Both of these yeasts will ferment well around 60F, and produce a nice, clean beer. I also like the Wyeast 2565 Kolsch strain. I made a Kolsch with it back in March, and it came out very clean. I am contemplating using 2565 for some pseudo-lagers in the coming months, as it is much easier for me to maintain 60F ferment temps than lager ferment temps.

I would do the neutral american ale. I recently did a simple american wheat (last weekend) and I used wyeast 1272 american ale II. Hopefully it will turn out well, and hopefully yours will too.

I made a Kolsch this winter and pitched Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch). When the Kolsch went to lager I racked an American Blonde Ale onto the yeast cake and fermented it in the low 60's. The blonde ale came out cleanly. Very little yeast-derived esters.

I also have the Pacman yeast that I used in a chocolate porter and then washed for later use. Haven't used it since and the porter isn't ready to drink, so I can't comment on it.

Haven't used a neutral American ale yeast yet.

I am such a huge pacman yeast fan, it has never let me down. Always attenuates 75-80%, even with high mashing temps and lots of crystal malts, it is just a consistent producer of clean, dry, crisp beers. IMO, the best of the clean american ale strains....yeah i said it...better than WLP001

WLP029 I share similar feelings about, this yeast attenuates in upwards of %80, it takes a while, 3 weeks or so, at 65 degrees but it get's the job done. It provides a distinctly, european flavor to the beers, this yeast has pedigree for sure.

Bottom line, WLP029, lends it's fruity, green bottle, style flavor to its beers, and Pacman literally get's out of the way and dry's the beer right out.

I am leaning towards pacman, since this is a more, hop forward American Wheat, with the finishing Amarillo......considering Amarillo 1 oz dry hop too.....

Back