Good second brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giant016

Reaction score
My first brew isn't even bottled yet and I'm already thinking what I should do next. One of the reasons I started brewing was to try different beers. Are there any beers that are different, yet the ingredients are easy to find and the brewing process isn't too hard? I like lagers don't have the ability to ferment them at the cold temps.

Brown ale, stout, porter, red, IPA, English mild/bitter, wit bier, Belgian ales, wheat, Hefe Weizen...
The sky is the limit; especially since you have easy access to pretty much any ingredient you need using the internet.

A better idea, would be for you to go out and try a wide array of commercial brews and think about what you like/dislike about each one and why. Then you can begin to look for a good recipe in the particular style you want. If you don't have access to a very broad selection, then post up about what beers you've tried and liked and why. Perhaps someone can suggest something more appropriate for you. Otherwise, the suggestion is just reflective of what WE like.

Marc.

PS. But a batch that you don't really like makes quite a nice gift! he he. (now I'm not admitting anything from personal experience of course.)

mbreen01 said:
Brown ale, stout, porter, red, IPA, English mild/bitter, wit bier, Belgian ales, wheat, Hefe Weizen...
The sky is the limit; especially since you have easy access to pretty much any ingredient you need using the internet.

A better idea, would be for you to go out and try a wide array of commercial brews and think about what you like/dislike about each one and why. Then you can begin to look for a good recipe in the particular style you want. If you don't have access to a very broad selection, then post up about what beers you've tried and liked and why. Perhaps someone can suggest something more appropriate for you. Otherwise, the suggestion is just reflective of what WE like.

Marc.

PS. But a batch that you don't really like makes quite a nice gift! he he. (now I'm not admitting anything from personal experience of course.)
I think my favorite beers are probably porters, except Guiness. I don't care what everyone else thinks, I hate Guiness. Now...where'd I put that flame suit?

Anyways, I want to try something different. Trying to make something like beers I already like would go against what I'm trying to do. Just trying to find something distinctive I guess. I found a beer that actually isn't made from hops, but some kind of flower. The brewing process was do-able, but I have no idea where I'd find this flower. I don't mind taking suggestions from what you guys like, because if I only try stuff I know I like I'll never be able to try the full spectrum of beers.

giant016 said:
I think my favorite beers are probably porters, except Guiness. I don't care what everyone else thinks, I hate Guiness. Now...where'd I put that flame suit?

I found a beer that actually isn't made from hops, but some kind of flower
I won't flame you for disliking Guinness, but I will correct you - it's a stout, not a porter.

The flowers you mention aren't Humulus lupulus are they? Hops are the flowers of that particular species.

For something different, try an English mild. There really aren't many of those commercially available. It's not wild or flashy, it doesn't have 100+ IBUs, it doesn't use non-traditional ingredients, but it IS different.

giant016 said:

Have you tried proper Guiness and not the watered down stuff you get outside of Ireland?

...btw, you don't have to like every beer in the world! :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
The flowers you mention aren't Humulus lupulus are they? Hops are the flowers of that particular species.
Nope. It's Yarrow. Page 221 in "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". Probably the smallest ingredient list I've seen so far. Extra light malt extract, fresh Yarrow flowers/leaves, sweet gale, American ale-type yeast, and corn sugar for bottling. When spring comes I may see if I can find some Yarrow.

To the other poster: I've only had the Guiness from the U.S.

You should be able to just about chew guiness! Four sips (gulps really) to the pint :):cross:
I had some about ten years ago in America and you could see through the pint glass to the other side. Maybe I just had a bad local pub. :drunk:

I had my 30th birthday party in Dublin - that was messy.

Taken from www.thhbs.intas.net :

YE OLDE RIPPER (Basically a barley wine)

6kg dry light malt extract
250g honey
750g corn sugar
60g Pride of Ringwood boiling hops (13.2 alpha)
60g Cascade boiling hops (5.5 alpha)
2 teaspoon Irish moss
60g Fuggles hops (finish)
Champagne yeast

Boil malt, boiling hops, and corn sugar in 7 litres water for about 1 hour.
In last 30 minutes add Irish moss and Fuggles hops. Strain into the fermenter and ¾ fill fermenter with cold water. Pitch yeast and ferment as per THBS brewing sheet. Bottle and age for at least 1 year - it will be worth it!!!! The 280g/L O.G. is high and will give the beer an alcohol of about 12%, so drink with care!!!!!

...I have only just started brewing and I have been using the THBS brewing sheet and have not had any problems at all. It is normally for kit brewing but is a good starting point.
http://www.thbs.intas.net/beer_how_to.htm

:ban:

I'll just offer up that, in my experience, porters (extract kits with specialty grains from your LHBS or any of the copious online merchants) are hard to screw up. It was the first beer I ever brewed after I graduated from the Mr Beer setup. It was a clown act from the begining - pots too small, boilover, spotty sanitation, etc.. We were really expecting it to be terrible, but when we tasted it, it was awesome. And they've only gotten better as I refine my clown act each time.

It also has the benefit of a relatively quick conditioning period. I can usually drink my porters about three weeks after bottling.

Focus

Focus said:
Secondary 1: 3-lb Mead
Secondary 2: 3-lb Scuppergnong Mead
Primary 3: 3-lb Mead
Primary 4: Oktoberfest
Primary 5: Food Lion-brand 3-lb Cyser
Conical: Honey Porter
Bottled: FNG Porter
On Tap: Nothing yet
Kegged: FNG Porter
On Deck: Welch's White Grape 3-lb Mead

Lemme guess, you'd recommend that giant016 make mead... :drunk:

all I can say is that's a hell of a lot of mead!

Marc.

dibby33 said:
Taken from www.thbs.intas.net :

YE OLDE RIPPER (Basically a barley wine)

6kg dry light malt extract
250g honey
750g corn sugar
60g Pride of Ringwood boiling hops (13.2 alpha)
60g Cascade boiling hops (5.5 alpha)
2 teaspoon Irish moss
60g Fuggles hops (finish)
Champagne yeast

Boil malt, boiling hops, and corn sugar in 7 litres water for about 1 hour.
In last 30 minutes add Irish moss and Fuggles hops. Strain into the fermenter and ¾ fill fermenter with cold water. Pitch yeast and ferment as per THBS brewing sheet. Bottle and age for at least 1 year - it will be worth it!!!! The 280g/L O.G. is high and will give the beer an alcohol of about 12%, so drink with care!!!!!

...I have only just started brewing and I have been using the THBS brewing sheet and have not had any problems at all. It is normally for kit brewing but is a good starting point.
http://www.thbs.intas.net/beer_how_to.htm

:ban:

That recipe doesn't look right. 6kg of DME in 7 litres of water is not right. perhaps it is supposed to be for a full 19-25 litre fermenter?

It does say to fill with cold water, which comes out to a normal batch size. I ran it through BeerSmith, and it comes out to 13.7% alcohol, and a 1.034 final gravity, which is massive! Of course, doing it with only 2 gallons of water gives it a OG of 1.343, an FG of 1.074, and ABV 37.3%, which is clearly ridiculous. I don't even know if champagne yeast can get you that high.

That makes a WHOLE lot more sense.

I don't think anything (even distiller's yeast) will get close to 37%. I would also recommend doing a close to a full boil as possible. The heavier you wort when you boil the less extraction you'll get from your hops and the more darkening oxidation your get plus a good chance of scorching.

mbreen01 said:
Lemme guess, you'd recommend that giant016 make mead... :drunk:

all I can say is that's a hell of a lot of mead!

Marc.

Each one is just a single gal batch, so I've only got 4 gals going at present. So it's not THAT much - although I'd like to get much more going than that :cross:

dantodd said:
That recipe doesn't look right. 6kg of DME in 7 litres of water is not right. perhaps it is supposed to be for a full 19-25 litre fermenter?

sorry for the delay in response - for some reason all threads get marked as read at about 10am each morning here!

...after disolving the DME in the 7 litres of water it is added to the primary vessel and topped up to 25 Litres. sorry - was being lazy and linked to the rest of the instructions!

It is tasty though - had one a couple of nights ago and shall have to get another batch going soon!!!

Yarrow is used medicinally, and there are several Internet sources for it including mountainroseherbs.com; I've ordered from them and would definitely do so again. If you want a local source, try a health food store; they might have it in tea bags.

Back