Direct fire flasks from Brewmaster's Warehouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if it would be safe to boil my starter wort in my 2L flask I purchased from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I have seen some flasks that state that you can put them on the stove and boil your starter wort in the flask and then put the flask in ice bath for cooling.

The 2L flask from brewmaster does not state that you can do this in their description. The description is pretty brief.

Are all erlenmeyer flasks created equal? or will mine break if I try to do this?

I have used both of my flasks purchased from Brewmasters Warehouse directly on the stove without incident at least a dozen times each. Even went from boil to cold water a few times.

If it says "borosilicate" somewhere on the flask, it is made to withstand heat. If not, you're taking a bit of a risk by heating it (it may be borosilicate glass...or perhaps not).

Put it over a gentle flame or glass cooktop. A coiled electric element or turkey fryer burner may break the flask regardless of its composition.

If it's a true erlenmeyer or Pyrex (Borosicilate) you should be able to. I've boiled mine on an electric element, with a wire trivet underneath, let it cool for a couple of minutes and then into ice water. No problems thus far.

From Brewmaster's Warehouse's website:

"Flask is made from Borosilicate type glass, and can be directly transferred from heat to cold without cracking."

Just saw the thread, thanks for the answers from everyone else. The flasks can be heated on a gas stove without any problems. As Yuri pointed out a turkey fryer or electric coil stove can cause the flasks to crack or even shatter.

Ed

Back