How to brew a split batch American Ale/English Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a 10 GAL split batch of APA/ESB. The grain bill for this would be:

20 lbs pale 2-raw
2 lbs cristal

OG: ~1.054

I'd like to use something like WLP001 and Cascade hops for the APA and WLP002 and Fugule for the ESB.
The thing is that I like my APA to be a little more bitter then my ESB.
How should I go about it?

Boil for 60 minutes without an aroma add, pour off half and cool immediately. Resume boil, add more flavor hops, boil 15 minutes, add aroma hops.

+1. The only way you'll pull that off is a split boil. You could do it David's way - it'll work! - but I think you'll find it easier to split the sweet wort into two equal parts in separate kettles.

Stopping the boil after 60 minutes also interrupts isomerization. In order to get the bitterness of, say, a 90-minute boil, you need to boil the wort for 90 consecutive minutes. So you might have to add a considerable amount of 15-minute hops to get the extra IBUs you want.

Anyway, both methods will work. It'll just take some deep thinkin'.

Bob

Yeh if you have an extra vessel the ideal way to do is to split the boil - that way you can differentiate the hop schedule completely if you want to.

Try this:
If you can runoff into one pot, then once you are finished sparging, dump your grains and clean your Mash Tun. Then use the mash tun to mix all your runnings back together. drain enough to boil the first half. While that's going you can keep the rest of the wort in the mash tun and drain it when you're ready to boil the 2nd half.

David's way should work fine if you can safely pour off half the batch though. You just can't customize the hop schedule as much.

I don't post much but I've been thinking about this lately... My plan is to bitter with a hop that would work for both styles then at 30 min pull out a gallon of wort. Split the gallon between two sauce pots, bring to a boil and then add the style specific hop additions at 30 15 and 0. Then add to the respective fermenters.

Boil for 60 minutes without an aroma add, pour off half and cool immediately. Resume boil, add more flavor hops, boil 15 minutes, add aroma hops.
I'm thinkin' that your thinkin' what I'm thinkin'. Now how do I do it in real life? What's my exact grain bill? What's my hop schedule? How do I work it all together?

Back