after three days my bubbles slowed way down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
i started my first brew 4 days ago my temp is 66 to 68 f and the bubbles have slowed to a bubble once a minute is this normal its really close to its finishing gravity or it might be there now starting was 38 now its at 10 i checked it yesterday and it hasnt moved any today

Perfectly normal, but don't even think about going to secondary or bottling for another 10 days or so. The majority of the fermentation is complete, but the yeasts need time to clean up after themselves, and leave you with a better tasting beer.

-a.

The sticky threads at the top of the page should be enlarged for the noobrewerly challenged.To the OP.RDWHAHB or a commercial since you don't have any yet:mug:

don't worry its perfectly normal your beer is reaching the end of its fermentation phase but you shouldn't use your airlock as a measure of fermentation activity its better to measure specific gravity using a hydrometer once you get the same measurement three days in a row you know you're there keep it in the primary fermenter for at least a week but it's better if you leave there for two weeks so the yeast has time to clean up the by-products of fermentation 38 is a fairly small beer so you shouldn't expect a lengthy fermentation even at low temps

fingers i was thinkin the same thing although i just put it in the second fermenter yesterday it will remain in ther for 4 more days i was thinkin

Are you planning on bottling your beer at 8 days old? It's really not a good idea to try and rush your beers to bottle in a week. Not only do you risk bottle bombs but your yeast will not have time to complete it's job cleaning up your beer both in flavor and clarity. Give it a couple weeks in the secondary and your beer will be much better.

see every thing i read else were said the opposite that i didnt want to leave it in there to long because the yeast would give it a yeasty flavor and im not tryin to make bread i trust your opinions but its just contradictory to the directions i got with my kit oh im not bottling im putting it in a corny keg

We, and many others on this board, routinely leave our beers in the primary for 4 weeks. It actually helps the clear the yeast out of the beer and improves the flavor. We always have crystal clear beer and very little sediment in our kegs or bottles.

Just so you are aware, many kits have really bad instructions. Bad instructions can at best give you a bleh beer and at worst can be dangerous to anyone within range of the exploding glass bottle.

I often leave my beer in the fermenter for three weeks, but I won't take it out after one. As Nurmey says, the instructions with your kit aren't really designed to make quality beer, they're designed to make it as easy and quick as possible. Your best bet is to discard those instructions and follow the advice you get here. There's nothing unique to your beer kit that would make it necessary to do things differently.

You can use your keg as a secondary, and many do, but be aware that you will get a lot of sediment in your first few pours. If you do an extended primary or a secondary you'll get clearer pours off the hop (no pun intended). I personally secondary all of my beers after two or three weeks and then don't put them in the keg until they're ready to drink. That's often about two to three months.

I leave mine a month...the "fear the yeast" autolysis boogeyman idea has tended to go out of style, a lot of the info was written for commercial lager (BMC) brewers striving for "tasteless" or "clean" beers with little flavor profile, anyway... besides when they are talking about that they are referring to longer than a month..

There's plenty of info about how it is a good idea NOT to rush the beers off the yeast..and not just anecdotal (though on there is plenty of that)...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/preventing-diacetyl-hold-butter-please-70438/?highlight=Butter

A lot of new brewers who stumble on the autolysis section in How to brew, that they neglect to note the last paragraph...

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

You'll actually be doing your beer a favor (and a flavor :D) by letting it sit for at least two weeks...

If you search on here for No primary, or Long secondary, you will find lots of discussions about it...

You might find the discussion in this thread eye openning as well...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/why-kit-instructions-so-horrible-99070/

You'll find out soon, why after the first time they follow the kit instructions...they post stuff like that...or start to realize that maybe the people on here, who brew regularly and help out...might actually know what they are doing. :D

John Palmer also says this in HTB...
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

The whole book is worth reading, and the printed version is even better.
I think you will find that there is very little advice given on this forum that contradicts what is in that book.

-a.

I read the whole online version before brewing, and I felt like I understood not only what to do but why I was doing it. I recommend it highly, and I'm ordering a hardbound copy just to support Mr. Palmer.

Back