Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
"as of yet" ---- are you trying to sound educated?

"supposubbly"--- are you illiterate?

I'll add more as I continue throughout my day. Please add yours too. And I hope many of you take advantage of this opportunity to make changes in your linguistic lexicon.

Sooooo,
As of yet, I haven't seen any other posts on here. Suposubbly, this thread was going to take off. But hey, it is what it is. At the end of the day, you don't have to accept it, but that is the bottom line. - Dwain

"libary"... Working in a university library I hear this all the time. It's frustrating to hear college student speak like they are idiots...

Ok, they probably are, but it's still frustrating.

Anyhoo.

Also the misspelling or misuse of words (repeatedly misspelled in the same post, so I know they're not just typos):
there instead of their
their instead of there
your instead of you're
you're instead of your
"jive with" instead of "jibe with"
to instead of too
too instead of to

and that's just a start.

Doesn't apply here much... but sportscasters..

"You can't have turnovers against this Auburn Tigers Football Team" instead of just saying Auburn, or Team, or Tigers. It's always as if it's some kind of Farci translation, overly wordy. Drives me insane.

Trying to sound educated? In a thread with the words Rhetorical Disfluencies in the title, that's golden that are. ;)

An oxymoron, perhaps. "As of yet" is just bad grammar for the sole purpose of sounding smart. I sound smart because I am smart.

Rhetoric is the art of using language to communicate effectively and persuasively.

Noun 1. disfluency - lack of skillfulness in speaking or writing
unskillfulness - a lack of cognitive skill
fluency - skillfulness in speaking or writing

"libary"... Working in a university library I hear this all the time. It's frustrating to hear college student speak like they are idiots...

Ok, they probably are, but it's still frustrating.

Woodint that be "fusterating"?

R = Aurah
H = Haych
Z = Zed

Never have understood the connection to those pronunciations of letters.

Some of these really flustrate me as well :D

Edit: Fine, GilaMinumBeer beat me to it :)

An oxymoron, perhaps. "As of yet" is just bad grammar for the sole purpose of sounding smart. I sound smart because I am smart.

According to Webster, Yet = "continuously up to the present or a specified time"

I don't see your problem with this one as of yet. ;)

According to Webster, Yet = "continuously up to the present or a specified time"

I don't see your problem with this one as of yet. ;)

As of Now, as of this moment, or just plain "yet"

"My beer hasn't fermented yet." Why does it have to be "My beer hasn't fermented as of yet." It's unnecessarily wordy. The only point of using extra words is to sound smart. It's bad style. If you don't get it yet, I can't make you get it.

As of Now, as of this moment, or just plain "yet"

"My beer hasn't fermented yet." Why does it have to be "My beer hasn't fermented as of yet." It's unnecessarily wordy. The only point of using extra words is to sound smart. It's bad style. If you don't get it yet, I can't make you get it.

And I hope many of you take advantage of this opportunity to make changes in your linguistic lexicon.

I get it now. You mean using too many words as in "Linguistic lexicon" When less would convey the message.....Heck, that's almost as bad as starting a sentence with "And"! ;)

Actually, one of my bugbears is not people using too many words, but too few.

eg: "That door needs painted" instead of "That door needs to be painted" etc. Grates on me nerves that do. :(

I suppose I have more of a problem with people that are trying to sound stupid. :)

Exspecially....drives me nuts.

I wanna axe you a question.

I have lived near philly, and DE for quite a while. Every time I hear someone refer to someone else as You's I want to punch them. I also hate it when people call it "down the shore".

I am also not quite sure if it's a regional thing or what but a large amount of family from Upstate NY say "onbelievable". Not sure if it counts or not. But I know many people who say it.

Myself and a couple buddies came up with a whole list of these one night. Shame I can't remember more.

Maybe this is just a Michigan thing, but I keep hearing "un-thaw" when what they mean is "thaw". Did anyone mention "whole 'nother"?

"suffice it to say"
"in point of fact"
"literally" (when it isn't)
"unique" (when it isn't)

Latest posts

Back