too early to take a FG reading? and best way to do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
ive had my Brewers Best American Amber in the primary for 8 days now, for the first few days the airlock was going crazy and since about 4-5 days ago ive seen no activity from the airlock, since it hasnt been bubbling for 4-5 days do u think it would be a good time to take a FG reading? and what is the best way to take a FG reading? i have a FG sampling tube thing and for my last batch and to check SG on this batch ive just been sanitizing the whole test tube and just dipping it in the primary to get some beer to take a sample with, is that an ok way to test it? or should i be siphoning it into my test tube?

Just pick up a turkey baster at the supermarket and use that. Sanitize it first, of course. Are you going to transfer to a secondary or bottle or keg it?

Some random thoughts....

1. I am sure it is done, but it will be so much better in a week or so. Let it age another week (2 if you can wait). You can take a sample for tasting, though. Keep in mind when it is not carbonated, it will taste a bit watery and/or sweet.

2. If you want to take a FG to play/tinker, I like to do it with a turkey baster. Suck up some sanitizer and squirt it out a few times, then you are ready to go in your fermenter with it.

O, while I'm on it, remember you can reuse that StarSan a few times. Keep a spray bottle around of it, too. Stick your baster in it suck, squirt...whalaaa, you are ready to take a sample and haven't used any of your StarSan.

3. Hydrometers are not a biggie when it comes to extract batches. They will do what they are supposed to if you get decent yeast.

im going to bottle it because i dont have a secondary, i was planning on letting it sit for about a week before i bottle then let it bottle condition for about 3 weeks

Back